New Zealand
Picton
Marlborough
flag msg tools
The stars are upside-down now
badge
Neptune: 8th planet from the Sun
mbmbmbmbmb
My appologies to all in advance if this is an old debate and explained elsewhere.
Most awards that I know of go Gold, Silver, Bronze. Those on BGG have copper instead of bronze. I have no problem with this I am just curious. As a chemist I am well aware that on the periodic table of elements copper, silver and gold form a vertical grouping, is there a connection here? or is the reason a cultural one I am unaware of?

Tony the Curious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I think it's my fault. I designed and named the first batch of those award badges, and I named the third place badges 'copper' accidentally, rather than 'bronze'. To add some nice detail to that, my last name is actually 'Brons', which is Dutch for 'bronze'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Dixon
New Zealand
Picton
Marlborough
flag msg tools
The stars are upside-down now
badge
Neptune: 8th planet from the Sun
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the speedy reply, no deep darksauron conspiracy theory here then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Copper is classier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Herman
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tin to alloy the copper with is too expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bergeron
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In many fantasy RPG settings, currency is done in gold, silver, and copper.

Maybe we have purists who just don't want mixed metals?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Leung
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gemlin wrote:
My appologies to all in advance if this is an old debate and explained elsewhere.
Most awards that I know of go Gold, Silver, Bronze. Those on BGG have copper instead of bronze. I have no problem with this I am just curious. As a chemist I am well aware that on the periodic table of elements copper, silver and gold form a vertical grouping, is there a connection here? or is the reason a cultural one I am unaware of?

Tony the Curious

Hey, it's nice to meet a fellow chemist! I never thought about it, but I like the periodic table explanation, just going down the precious metals group from first to third row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
I think it's my fault. I designed and named the first batch of those award badges, and I named the third place badges 'copper' accidentally, rather than 'bronze'. To add some nice detail to that, my last name is actually 'Brons', which is Dutch for 'bronze'.

Is it possible to collect all the old copper badges, and recast them in bronze?
or would that slow things down more than the recent image sorting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
smeagol
msg tools
I don't mind the copper. I even got used to polish my badge every now and then to get rid of verdigris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
To add some nice detail to that, my last name is actually 'Brons', which is Dutch for 'bronze'.

Just tell everybody that it's like that old "story" about why America doesn't have a field marshal rank when the first candidate was named Marshall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.