Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Wells
United States
Centralia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first attempt at a game review on BGG, so bear with me. Lately, I’ve been playing board games more and more. One reason is that it requires my family and/or friends to sit and actually communicate with one another. Another is that after a decade or so of great computer games, I’m all upgraded out. With a board game, I (hopefully) don’t have to upgrade my table to play it.
My wife actually noticed this game first at our FLGS. Both of us enjoy reading the fantasy genre and the title and box art seemed to catch her attention. After reading a number of well written and balance reviews here on the ‘Geek, I decided to buy it. As we opened the box and peered in, my wife, daughter and I were all very impressed with the contents. The cards and board are of good stock, and the character sheets and stand-ups are heavy enough to last a long time (especially since the little girl is years past teething).
I’ll not go into the mechanics of game play and all the rules here, as this has been done several times by those with vastly more experience gaming than me. The rules are fairly straightforward, though my aging brain had to read through a couple times to comprehend. Our first game, we checked the rulebook several times to make sure we were doing it right. By the third or fourth turn, we had them down.
This is a fun game. Its simplicity lets you free your imagination and enjoy the journey. Character development is fairly easy, if not always rapid. Combat is mostly one roll of the dice and calculating bonuses. Unless you’re really unlucky, it’s almost impossible to die. The monsters and creatures are what you’d expect from this genre. As my nine-year-old likes to be nice, we usually play the rules variant that makes the first player with two artifacts the winner, rather than beating up each other for the final prize (my apologies to Duncan MacLeod here).
My only gripe with the game is the number of cards that are in play at any one time and the limited space on the board to put them. A game quickly becomes a jumble if you don’t keep the cards straight. The simplicity of the board is both a blessing and a curse. It’s not an exploration game like Runebound with multiple terrains, but on the other hand it keeps movement more as a matter of choice than chance.
If I may give one piece of advice to the first time gamer, it would be to make sure your character has all his health and magic, and a few upgrades, before attacking the big bad guys.
To sum it up, it’s fun and easy to learn. For kids and old folks, it’s a good game to get started in the world of fantasy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play Twilight Imperium, you'll have to upgrade your table. It's well worth it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs on the head.
badge
Rub the wizard!
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that helps clear the board is to keep the stacks of face down guild cards off to the side. Just keep the currently available skills (if there are any) on the board face up by themselves. It helps keep a little clutter out of the center of the board anyway.

Thanks for sharing your review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mellby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff_Wells wrote:
This is my first attempt at a game review on BGG, so bear with me. Lately, I’ve been playing board games more and more. One reason is that it requires my family and/or friends to sit and actually communicate with one another. Another is that after a decade or so of great computer games, I’m all upgraded out. With a board game, I (hopefully) don’t have to upgrade my table to play it.

You obviously didn't buy Railroad Tycoon when it came out.
First, some people had to get larger tables (and a few people
larger houses). I was lucky having a big table.
Then we had to get clear overlays to set on the map to keep
it flat!
You don't know how good you have it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wells
United States
Centralia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the comments. As of right now, I'm working on plans for a bigger table that I can fold and stow when we're not playing. Hope to post news and pictures if I ever get started on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.