Subject: The Girls' Game night rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tome Loh
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually spend saturday afternoons playing RPGs, and the evenings playing boardgames over at a friend's place, and more often than not, the missus tags along to chat and catch up with the other members of the "Wives and Girlfriends of Gamers Club".

But last weekend, the tables were turned around, and it was the boys who got to sit at the sidelines and watch as the girls enterd the fray, for the ladies decided to give the OOTS boardgame a try out of boredom. [Dun-dun-DUN!]

That's the missus in the middle, sorting through her encounter cards during set-up.

My lovely wife randomly picked Durkon the dwarven cleric as her character, and after a short explanation, the ladies were off racing for loot.

It was all very friendly and "Sugar and Spice, and Everything Nice" until one of them got shafted by another using the "Screw This!" card to take back a loot offered for assistance in an encounter. From there on, the claws came out and the boys watched in horror as the girls played the game with more back-stabbing and PvP than we have ever done playing this game, or in fact, playing Diplomacy.

The high point of the game was when the missus, who bravely delved into Xyklon's Lair first, was dealt a stack of 15(!) encounter cards (it was an encounter level 4, but henchmen boosts to the monster leaders made the encounter level grow... and grow... and grow!

Not to be detered, she gamely waded into the fight with the hammer (boosted to a respectable +10), and a prayer (Divine Intervention shtick!) against the Attack-22 monster stack and rolled.... a "1", which combined with the Divine Intervention shtick gave a result of "13" + 10, beating the first monster. Things went rapidly downhill for the monsters from there, and when the dust settled, there was nothing but a BIG stack of loot cards in the (now blood-splattered) room, whereupon she calmly played the "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" "Screw This!" card and collected ALL the loot.

The rest could only watch in awed silence.

Needless to say she won the game that night... and now she want in when the boys play boardgames on saturday evenings.

I shudder to think what will happen this coming weekend.

Ye gods! I have created a (gaming) monster! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report, I think the boys may be in trouble next game session?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tome Loh
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably. I shudder to think of the knives that I will find stuck on my back this weekend yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tietz
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am jealous. Any game that the rules take longer than 30 seconds to explain immediately bores my wife. I'm doomed to a lifetime of playing Blokus over and over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.