Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Spider's Web Hero Victory (WoD2) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Colvin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Just had one of the most exciting games of Descent for a long while, plus it's one that I've only ever read of heroes failing on, so thought I should write it up.

House Rules used:
Each player picks two heroes each and chooses which one they will use

Random Treachery. OL draws a number of cards from the Red/Green/Purple treachery decks equal to the quest's treachery value and can only buy these treachery cards.

Treachery cards are added to the deck and no regular OL cards are removed.

Plenty of spoilers (obviously)

The Quest. Spider's Web

This is the one where the heroes start in different locations and have to link up. The corridors are long and simple so spawns can't generally attack in the same turn they appear. The quest monsters are generally weak (Spiders, skeletons, razorwings)

Set up
One reason the heroes did so well was that they were very lucky with their heroes.

Nanok of the Blade
Skills: Mighty, Bear Tattoo, Skilled
Items: Sword, Shield, Walking staff, Fatigue Potions

Nanok made a huge difference. There were two chainmail sets still available meaning the whole party was well defended which was vital for this quest.

Corbin
Skills: Furr the Spirit Wolf, Appraiser, Pickpocket
Items: Sword, Bow, Chainmail, Healing potion

I'm not quite sure why he got a bow instead of an axe or shield. I think they were worried about web but still could have taken throwing knives.

Battlemage Jaes
Skills: Unmoveable, Wild Talent, Vampiric Blood
Items; Sword, Shield, Sunburst Rune, Leather Armour, Potion

Jaes' skills were perfect. His blast with Vampiric meant that he could spend all his fatigue on getting a blast and get it all back from the ensuing kills. With Wild Talent, his sorcery 1 could add vital range or damage to the blast and was even useable with his sword which he used against lone monsters. He didn't start with great armour but had a shield to soak up odd the odd point here and there and had extra armour when battling which he did a lot.

Grey Kerr
Skills: Precision, Burglar (house-ruled to be 3 extra threat per trap), Telekinesis
Items: Crossbow, shield, Chainmail

Grey Kerr was the weakest link and therefore my regular target. He still had 3 armour however and his 5 fatigue with telekinesis did him well and made for some of the best moments in the game.

Treachery

Randomly selecting my treachery means my selection isn't optimal, but there are more likely to be some unusual surprises.

Red: Unholy Swiftness, Dark Armour
Green: Dark Balm, Danger
Purple: Rolling Boulder!

Opening areas

Started straightforwardly. Jaes NW, Nanok NE, Kerr SE, Corbin SW.

Jaes and Nanok did pretty well working their way to the juntions and co-ordinating sight lines via the portcullis to keep down spawns. Hit and tun tactics failed against Nanok who grappled and killed anything to come near him while Jaes used his Vampiric Sunburst combo to great effect. Jaes took the chest while Nanok covered him despite some skeletons and sorcerers spawning behind him and taking potshots while keeping out of range of his Grapple and trying to lure him back.

Corbin got into trouble with some unlucky misses followed by a Ferrox Tribe spawn leaving several small monsters blocking the corridor with the Ferrox hounding him and laying on the Bleed tokens which whittled down his 8 health until I got my first kill. Furr managed to bring down the master ferrox in the end though by bypassing his armour and eventually Corbin fought his way down the corridor.

Grey Kerr also got floored, as the Scarlet Bane (named spider) inflicted multiple Daze tokens making it difficult for Kerr to him to finish him off and using up all his fatigue in trying. Meanwhile, TWO kobald swarms had spawned in front of him. Half blocked the corridor ahead while the other half surrounded him en masse and gleefully kicked him to death while getting me considerable threat in the process. (a few kobalds were used against Corbin to slow him down, but Grey Kerr took the brunt). Coming back from town fully refreshed, he finished off the scarlet bane with a single shot and hightailed it down the corridor to the glyph and chest hurling kobalds out of his path like some Asterix character, with a fatigue potion and Telekinesis.

Inside the chests for this section...
Jaes lucked out as getting Plate mail and a Crystal Shield making him near impossible to damage, especially when he used Unmoveable.
Kerr got the Falcon Claws (Ranged Web)
Nanok got a Magic bow which he had no black dice in but gave him something to use against the skeletons and sorcerers plaguing him. He also got the Ring of Quickness.
Corbin got Gauntlets of power and Crystallise, neither of which helped him much.

Part Two

Jaes and Nanok sped through their respective doors and activated the glyphs easily taking out the Scarlet Banes as they went. Nanok's skeleton and sorcerer pursuers tried to catch him on his way back from town to the stairs but he made short work of them and was now wearing the Ring of Protection for 5 armour plus shield. I slowed down Jaes a little with Bane Spiders but not by much.

The Red bane spider of the spawn however managed to web Corbin who had just made it out of his corridor and into his room. And so Corbin's bow did end up useful shooting the spider twice as it tried to scurry out of range.

And so, the heores had a small mountain of Glyph-based Conquest, some decent copper treasures with 3 of the 4 now on 5 or 6 armour, and were all ready to run up the stairs at the same time (with the exception of the webbed Corbin left firing his bow at the few Kobalds dancing round him.

The Overlord had amassed an even larger threat pile however and, with the emergence of both Danger cards in quick succession, was able to bring out Unholy Swiftness, Trapmaster and Doom!

Up the Stairs

Jaes went first up the stairs where a large spawn friendly area revealed skeletons and spiders galore. Despite battling, one blast missed, the other failed and the next thing he new he was covered in webs.
A Beastman Warparty, extra fast and extra dangerous from my Power cards did their best to put an end to him since he was already weakened but despite the Beastman command, nearly all my monsters seemed to deal exactly 6 damage which all went straight into his Unmoveable, Battlemage Plate Armour.

Meanwhile, Nanok had killed everything in his area, and set off to the long central corridor connecting the two rooms, and the silver chest just off it. However this is what I'd been waiting for. I spawned two Blood Apes to cut off the side corridor to the Chest and, when Nanok ran up to fight his way through them, a rolling boulder dropped behind him. Luck was against me however as with a single sword attack, Nanok managed to JUST kill one of the apes and, with his last fatigue, jump into its place and out of the way of the giant stone.

Back in the other room, some comfort came to the beleaguered Jaes from the arrival of his lost companion Grey Kerr, but less so from the 9 Kobalds who were still chasing him and very angry about their earlier mistreatment. Kerr made a dash for the lever but a trapmastered crushing block kept him away and into the hands of the Kobald mob who tore him apart again. There was then a wonderful little battle as the webbed Jaes with two health left sent blast after blast in every direction taking out large numbers of beasties finally being brought down by my heroic little Kobalds who I was becoming increasingly fond of. The Master Beastman whose command had been largely responsible didn't get to celebrate for long however as Grey Kerr appeared on the stairs again and, with a single wave of his telekinetic finger, flung him backwards and into the path of my spectactularly unsuccessful boulder which flattened him instantly. Jaes appeared too and with his trademark Vampiric Blast Battle Action, left my brave Kobald Horde a series of smoking dots around the room.

Endgame

It was pretty much over from there, even though the loss of Jaes and the later death of Kerr (again) from a series of spiked pits now had them on a mere two Conquest. The heroes pulled both levers releasing the Queen Spider, but without any poison tokens on my heroes, her pitiful White and Green dice could do barely anything to them even with Doom. Without decent weapons however, they could do little to her. Bringing up the rear however, Corbin came dragging an enormous Silver treasure mace behind him while Nanok grabbed her by the forelegs and kept her steady for him. I thought I had a chance for a moment as a Bane Spider Swarm started to inflict some poison damage on him and he started to suffer the Psychic Posion effects on his delicate 8 Health points, but after several well placed bludgeons, she cracked open in a burst of yellow goo and our heroes were victorious.

Final thoughts

What a great game... It was just how Descent should be, going right down to the nail with only 2 conquest left for the heroes in the final minutes and Corbin starting to suffer. It went faster than most games as the heroes were acting more for themselves than endlessly debating how to co-ordinate their strategy. I got my first Rolling Boulder card and was pleased to see that it doesn't ALWAYS spell instant hero death. But above all, I finally got to see Kobalds in their true colours, not as trap fuelling little skulkers but a plucky little death-dealing lynch mob!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Johnson
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report! Glad you guys had fun.

I have yet to try this one out but it sounds like it should be next on our quest list

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got it, am reading the rules now, thanks for the inspiration, sounds like a great game.

I can't wait to figure it all out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Colvin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Yes, I was surprised at how well it worked as I'd started to decide that the WoD quests were all impossible against an Overlord who really tried. That said the house rules did help and I wouldn't recommend letting them try it with completely random heroes if they should get any unarmoured characters. If they hadn't had such well armoured heroes, I think it would've been easy to wear down their conquest by picking on weak one. Also, the only Monster treachery I drew were power cards and being able to place some hero-killers on the board really would have helped.

But it made for a very close, fun game so that's the main thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guys beat this one as well. I missed the errata on this quest when we did it which made it a little easier for the heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super royer
msg tools
mb
Thx for this review and the great house rules.
I used the same and the game was very fun. A little bit easy for the heroes in the beginning but everything went even by the end!

Thank you very much. I hope you'll do the same with other maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.