Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my copy of the game last week and that night my fiance and I broke it out and had a blast. RRT is one of our favorite games, even as a 2 player, and we've been anxious for this expansion ever since it was announced. It came as a surprise that there were no 'official' rules for a 2 player game. This map is much more 2-player friendly than the base game map was, and even the base game is listed as a 2 player game. What gives? Why would you create a map that is more 2-player friendly and label it as a 3 player game, while the base game is less 2-player friendly and labeled a 2 player game? The logic seems very backwards and I'm really curious who made this decision.

For what it's worth, we've played several times already and this is a spectacular 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thats good to hear as railroad tycoon was not very good with 2 players even though you could play it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was probably our favorite 2 player board game. Granted this board makes it better, but we got a great deal of play out of the base set. Ah well, to each his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Haag
Canada
Kitchener/Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see it working with two players, but off the top of my head I would alter the Tycoon card distribution to (a) remove the Chicago and Western Link bonus cards, and (b) remove the duplicate Wealth and Fewest Share cards. I suspect that a 2 player game would basically amount to a tight contest in the north-east each time, unless an incredibly beneficial draw of cards would tempt one of the players out of the NE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Brueckner
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our 2 player version has us each playing a single color, but you can have 2 separate trains on the map. Both players still only get 3 actions per round and all other rules apply including the auction for start player.

This way you can still compete for the NE and where ever else you butt heads.

We haven't tried RoE yet, but it looks like it would support 2 players even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Connor,

I am very happy that you enjoy the game as a two player game. At the time Railroad Tycoon was released there was discussion about whether to go with a 2 or 3 player minimum. Glenn made the final call. This time around, it was my decision and I felt more comfortable saying the game supports 3-5. This does not prohibit anyone from playing with 2 players, but I think some people who would buy the game on that information alone (that it supports 2 players) might be expecting a different experience than what a two player game of RoE would provide.

I value your feedback and will closely evaluate the two player experience for this game and note it on the box (if it goes to reprint) and also for any future expansions to the "Rails of" line of games.

Thank you for buying the game :-)

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
armin101 wrote:
Our 2 player version has us each playing a single color, but you can have 2 separate trains on the map. Both players still only get 3 actions per round and all other rules apply including the auction for start player.

We haven't tried RoE yet, but it looks like it would support 2 players even better.

Not sure what you mean here, you can have as many separate routes as you'd like, though it tends to benefit you more to form one long route.

keithblume2 wrote:
Hi Connor,

I am very happy that you enjoy the game as a two player game. At the time Railroad Tycoon was released there was discussion about whether to go with a 2 or 3 player minimum. Glenn made the final call. This time around, it was my decision and I felt more comfortable saying the game supports 3-5. This does not prohibit anyone from playing with 2 players, but I think some people who would buy the game on that information alone (that it supports 2 players) might be expecting a different experience than what a two player game of RoE would provide.

I value your feedback and will closely evaluate the two player experience for this game and note it on the box (if it goes to reprint) and also for any future expansions to the "Rails of" line of games.

Thank you for buying the game :-)

Keith

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense, though I still would have kept it at 2 to avoid confusion. The appearance now is that this game is less suitable for 2 player games, which is very much not so. That being said I would recommend you at least included an optional rule in the rulebook next time around.

Let me also say that I like the way you say 'future expansions' and would gladly purchase any additions to the franchise. Rails of Mars?

Again, great game, and between this and TTA, which I also purchased, I'm certainly a fan of the company.

Connor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
Oshio wrote:
armin101 wrote:

Not sure what you mean here, you can have as many separate routes as you'd like, though it tends to benefit you more to form one long route.
I think a lot of players use a home rule that your lines have to come off of your previously built lines (more realistic). I play that way, but with an additional house rule that if you urbanise a city, then you can build off of that also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I "marketed" Rails of Europe to my game group as "Railroad Tycoon - the new 'fewer players' expansion". Honestly, the Raccoon really cooks only when people are jammed in together. RoE's smaller map makes that easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm finding like many others have I'm sure that Railroad Tycoon is like many other multiplayer games... passable and playable with 2 but much better and more "angst filled" and thought provoking with more.

That's the case with many games where there is just a lot more room with only 2 and the game turns into the good old "multiplayer solitaire" experience. Not necessarily bad though as many people (especially casual and non-gamers) prefer less in-your-face and cutthroat gameplay. That's pretty much what you get when you play the game 2 player. Every player added above 2 simply ratchets up the opportunities for more interaction and confrontation regarding various goals everyone is trying to achieve.

I actually think the game is nicely scalable and like many other Eurogames... the experience is different with every player number. At the other end of the spectrum... playing with 7 on the Railroad Tycoon board or 6 on RoE can be downright brutal and confrontational. Good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.