Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Is this a game we can set up and play fairly easily without someone teaching the rules? Given the AH reputation, the only reason I have not gotten a copy is a fear that it will sit on the shelf until someone who knows it can teach it to us.

As an aside, if a family can play Return of the Heroes/Prophecy, will this game be too convoluted or dated?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
U.S. 95th Infantry Division - The Iron Men of Metz
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall the rules are not all that complicated. That being said, they are not written like current rulebooks (like Days of Wonder). They are in the old Avalon Hill style, but are pretty easy to follow.

If you can make it through the Return of the Heroes rules, than you should be OK with these.

This game is different than RotH. Although you are competing, there is a cooperative aspect, as you are racing against the Progression of Evil throughout the islands. Some of the quests or tasks are more involved.

I think it's a great game and searched far and wide to pick up a copy about 10 years ago.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs on the head.
badge
Rub the wizard!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can definitely teach yourself this game from the rulebook. The rules are solid for the most part. I would recommend scaling the number of tasks to perform per fortnight based on the number of players. Depending on how experienced you are or how ruthless of a game you want it to be. For example, if you want your wizards to have a winning chance I would scale it back to 5 tasks per fortnight to thwart if there will be only 3 players. The only other reminder is that all the tables are rolled on using TWO dice (taking the higher result) like in Magic Realm. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are a tad bit dated, yes. But that has more to do with standards of publication from that era being dated by modern standards as a whole than the rules not being "modern."

I learned the game by playing from the rules.

I relearned the game by playing with the rulebook open on the Java computer version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.