Hide
5 Posts

Second World War at Sea: Bomb Alley» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dreadnoughts rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustavus Adolphus
msg tools
Is it possible to use the "advanced" ship combat rules from Dreadnoughts with SWWAS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. Doesn't scale well with the map size, and ship weapons and damage control concepts were rather different.

In any case, it's largely not needed as badly in SWWaS. In GWaS, abstraction was carried to the point where facing didn't matter at all, and many battles started and ending with the ships moving into gun range and not budging again. Which, given that ship-to-ship surface combat was about the only way to really DO damage in that game...

In SWWaS, on the other hand, there are already facing and more 'advanced' tactical rules (see the last section of the rulebook, IIRC). These work fine for the more limited amount of ship-to-ship action in that series. In SWWaS, you'll see most of the action as aircraft and submarine attacks on ships - and MTBs in Bomb Alley - which don't benefit from any difference in the tactical system. What ship-to-ship action there is in SWWaS tends to be more destroyers and cruisers, which also go down reasonably quickly regardless of the tactical system. (At least, at these games' scales, they need to - or a full operation would take all week!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm mostly happy with the SWWAS tactical rules as they are. Probably my only complaint is the lack of smoke screens. Yes, you could make house rules for them, but it would be nice to see the game designers come out with something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not buy Dreadnought for that purpose but there may be bits and pieces you could use for chrome anyway. I agree with the previous posts as it relates o SWWAS combat, it is much better than GWAS as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavus Adolphus
msg tools
Thanks for the responses. I actually bought Dreadnoughts first because I'd heard good things about the tactical rules, then GWAS Med. I was holding off on Bomb Alley until I was sure it had a half decent tactical system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.