Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing some ASL SK#3 scenarios recently, but I haven't been recording them as fervently as usual - Real Life(tm) has been interrupting such efforts. I can say that I'm getting more used to tank combat, and I'm constantly surprised at the vulnerability of tanks!

Sure, regular infantry units aren't going to hurt them much, but add a few anti-tank weapons - either Guns, other Tanks, or bazookas - and you get a different picture.

Flamethrower units are also scary. Apparently the tank's armour doesn't help against them, and with a To Kill # of 8 (or 9 if the tank's crew is taking in the air), that's a likelyhood of the tank going bye-bye. Of course, the FT unit needs to get adjacent to the tank, which can be a very good way of dying. FT units are squishy... or, more correctly, very flammable.

This scenario has a small force of Germans defending some buildings against a Russian Tank advance. They've got one AT gun, and reinforcements (in the form of two tanks in Turn 1, and infantry with FT and PSK in turn 3). The 50L AT gun does have a problem - a very limited availability of APCR ammo, which is really not worth trying for.

There's a lot of open ground or grainfields in this scenario, and with two mapboards in play, there's a lot of space to work with.

Tanks have a basic problem: they're fairly vulnerable to AT fire unless they move, and, if they're moving, they're extremely unlikely to hit anything!

Still, six Russian tanks against one AT gun (to begin with) have something of an advantage. The German machine guns (medium and heavy) are pretty much useless against the front armour of the tanks, and the Russians weren't about to expose their rear side... nor were the Germans game enough to try wandering around in open ground!

The first skirmishes were inconclusive, and the German crew manning the AT gun showed its worth by not only being able to take out a Russian tank, but also withstood several attacks from the Russian tanks. Even when they were broken by an attack, they quickly recovered in the next rally round. Desperation Morale meant nothing for this crew!

The German tanks entering the fray proved worthless. Look, they were good tanks, certainly better than the Russian tanks, but that really didn't help them when they got hit by a Critical Hit whilst still far away from the enemy! Ok, one of the tanks wasn't taken out by a CH, but both were destroyed before they got a chance to engage the Russians.

The AT gun proved a better defense, and it was able to destroy three Russian tanks before it was destroyed. A fourth Russian tank saw its Main Armament malfunctioned and then disabled through some very unlucky rolls, and so it was Recalled off the map. Only two tanks remained to assault the German forces!

The German reinforcements moved up. A FT unit took up position on a hill and somehow managed to survive several attacks on it, even a "hit" from a Russian Tank 75mm gun. Sure, it got reduced to a Half Squad by a K/1 result, but the resulting half-squad made its Morale Check and was able to flame the nearby tank, incinerating it, before it finally fell to a 16FP attack from a nearby building.

The Russians by this stage had captured all but one of their victory targets, but the last one proved elusive. Their main chance of taking it out was their remaining tank, but it got hit by the German PSK (TK# of 26???) and that was that. They charged at the remaining three units of the Germans, but accurate fire brought them down.

It had been a close thing, but the Germans had retained control over one building with only three squads remaining in Good Order, and with a couple of leaders keeping them there. The Russians were left to rue their bad luck in the last part of the battle, for they were favourites for most of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the PSK is a wonderful weapon for the Germans. It saved the day! I have one question: Why the Russians charge to the last man?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
JackFlash wrote:
I think the PSK is a wonderful weapon for the Germans. It saved the day! I have one question: Why the Russians charge to the last man?

They'd run out of time. They had one turn to take control of the last building, so they all approached to pointblank range and got mown down before they could enter Melee and the possibility of victory.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a terrible thing for the Russians but so historical!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehr
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Great AAR! Thanks!

This scenario and S22 are my two favorite scenarios from SK3. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't call them anti-tank guns for nothing, eh?

Reminds me of a story I once heard of a German .88 crew in Italy. They spotted a US Tank (Sherman I believe) coming around a corner. They shot and destroyed it. Another US Sherman came around the wreckage of the first and was shot at and destroyed. This happened repeatedly until finally a Sherman rounded the corner and wasn't shot at. Eventually the US forces advanced on the German .88 position and captured the crew. The US officer asked the Germans why they stopped firing. The German officer replied "You had more tanks than we had shells!"

The economic powerhouse, USA, was a hard juggernaught to stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.