Popular Tags: [View All]
John Mehrholz
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the ability to turn off ads since 2006, but except for a few days during the image gallery categorization when I turned off banner ads in order to see the pics without scrolling, I've never turned off any ads until today.

The thing is, I like seeing ads for games. Lately though, I've been noticing more non-game related ads and today there was one form Circuit City that was one of those really annoying ones that fills your whole screen when it loads before shrinking down to the space it's supposed to fill. As soon as it shrunk down and I could risk clicking on the screen without clicking through to a Circuit City site, I went to ad block configuration to block the section it came from.

It would be nice if there was an option to only view game related ads in the ad block feature. I have no idea if this is even possible, or if the ad serving is out of Aldie's direct control, but if it is possible it would be a way for Aldie to have his cake and eat it too for those of us who support the site, but still want to see ads as long as they are game related.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Biddick
United States
Moxee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I started blocking ads on my browser was because of the obnoxious ones with all the flashings lights, or they took over the screen, or some other over-the-top, just trying to piss me off method. The ads that behave themselves dont bother me at all, but my first sight of one of those other kind will get me talking to the ad-blocker quicker than I can throw my mouse at the monitor!

So far I have seen none of the bad ones here though (although, looking at this screen, some ads are blocked already - I guess i'm already blocking the bad ones).

I refuse to allow ads to force themselves upon me! I am an opt-in kinda guy as opposed to an opt-out kinda guy.

Fingers officially crossed that I dont have to get aggressive at this site!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Biddick
United States
Moxee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an extension to this idea:

I just adblocked my first BGG avatar - One of those that flashes several little picks. Exactly the same annoying stuff that will get an ad blocked as well. It was on a geeklist created by the owner of that avatar so each entry has flashing going on & I hate it.

Am I the only one who thinks those are reallllllly annoying?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbiddick wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks those are reallllllly annoying?

I am currently blocking the posts of 9 users.
7 of them because of their annoying avatars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Biddick
United States
Moxee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Firefox I can block just the avatar, so I can still see their posts, but the annoyance factor is gone.
Using AdBlock plus extension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.