United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_270_gameRule...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn blocked file here at work!!! Damn!

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
odd to see "translation error" in the ruleset.

There may be a joke about the designer just being proactive, but I'm not gonna make it. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for letting us know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeples!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brafman
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played coloretto, but never zooloretto. If anyone is familiar with the latter, I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts on how aquaretto compares rules-wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that Aqua, can turn Zoo into more of a gamer's game too...

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some differences between Zooloretto & Aquaretto for those that can't get to the rules:

While the actions are pretty much the same, there are some differences in the gameplay.

In Zoo, the size of the enclosures are fixed. In Aqua, the actual enclosures are part of the animal tiles. As you place them, you are also expanding the enclosures (there are restrictions on where you can place them that I won't go into).

In Zoo, you get money when you fill an enclosure. That can't work for Aqua, since adding a tile is expanding the enclosure. Instead, you get money when the enclosure reaches 3, 6, 9, or 12 tiles large.

In Zoo, when you have an animal that can't go in your enclosure, it goes in your barn. When you want to get rid of, move or another player buys one of those, it can be any tile. In Aqua, the barn is called 'depot' and the tiles go in a stack on it and you can only get rid of, move or another player may buy only the top tile.

In Aqua, when an enclosure reaches 5 or 10 tiles large, you earn a meeple. Meeples earn you additional points at the end of the game. Their role is determined by where you place them.

Cashier (meeple on checkout booth): each cashier (max 2) earns you one point per coin left at the end of the game

Keeper (meeple on feeding station): each keeper (max 2) earns you 1 point per animal tile with a fish symbol on it

Manager (meeple on depot): halve the minus points you would get for animals left in the depot (max 1 manager)

Trainer: you place the trainers out in the zoo area rather than in a building. A trainer earns you one point per adjacent (including diagonal) trainable animal (dolphins, orcas & sea lions without a lightning bolt symbol)

There is an additional money action to move one of these meeples to a new spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Some differences between Zooloretto & Aquaretto for those that can't get to the rules:

I just post some of the differences of Aqua and Zoo on this geeklist:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/29011/page/1

When i found your post. If i only knew about your post my job would have been easier. However, you did pointout a few things that I didn't think of adding (or didnt see) so i went back and added them. So thank you for that.

However, in my list I didn't add the new depot rule - you posted. Skipped over that in my skimming of the rules. So I just want to encourge you to add it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great summary, Evan - how do the two games work together?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brafman
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great responses. Sounds like I may skip Zoo and go right to Aqua, which sounds like it will be more different from Coloretto than Zoo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamemark wrote:
Great summary, Evan - how do the two games work together?

Sounds more like simultaneously playing a game of Zoo & a game of Aqua to me.

The animal stacks are kept separate and Zoo animals can only go in Zoo enclosures and Aqua animals on the Aqua board (which makes sense).

The overlap is your money, a truck can have animals from both games and Aqua's manager cuts the point losses in both Aqua's depot AND Zoo's barn.

That's pretty much it.

The other significant rule is:

When drawing animals, no one can take a truck until at least one truck has a Zoo animal and at least one truck has an Aqua animal. The rules are ambiguous, but I think they mean they have to be different trucks (the example makes it sound that way).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Koopman
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
...a truck can have animals from both games...

Actually, I think that once a truck as a zooloretto animal on it, it can only have zoo animals, and once it has an aqua animal, it can only have aqua animals.

Aquaretto rules wrote:
A. Place a tile on a transport wagon
Placing tiles on wagons has the following restrictions:
1) on each wagon, players may place either only Zooloretto tiles or only Aquaretto tiles. When a player places the first tile on a wagon in a round, he determines which game’s tiles will be placed on that wagon in this round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yeah. I missed that. Makes the must be one truck with each less ambiguous as well.

Although I am not sure how much I like that rule.

There is so little overlap between the two games as it is. At least if a truck could have both kinds, you could work on both at the same time.

Have to wait and play it and see though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:

Yeah, that's a pretty brutal job they did there. I guess they generated the pdf without even looking at it once done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
Although I am not sure how much I like that rule. There is so little overlap between the two games as it is. At least if a truck could have both kinds, you could work on both at the same time.

You cannot mix animals, an Aquaretto truck is full of water...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You cannot mix animals, an Aquaretto truck is full of water...

I don't think this developing mixed-truck variant violates theme. Each segment of the truck could be considered a cage for Zoo or a water tank for Aqua.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
reapersaurus wrote:

Yeah, that's a pretty brutal job they did there. I guess they generated the pdf without even looking at it once done.
I'll say.

First off, page #6 is supposed to be page #1, with all other pages getting bumped down one in number (page #1 is now page #2, pg2 is now pg3, etc.)

page #5 on the PDF version is missing the scoring diagram illustration

The translation errors in page size are just missing the background image for the main zoo board.
Just check out the top left, large portion cut outboard for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.