Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that it can be played at Yahoo Games. How is the game for online play? Would it be a good way for a new player to learn?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's been a long time since I played on Yahoo. It's the Yugo of on-line Bridge venues imo. There are better ones out there ...

... but ...

if you're just starting to learn to play, I'd suggest finding a mentor who would be willing to teach you the game. It's a very steep learning curve just to get a fundamental handle on the game and then quite a bit more of a curve before becoming competitive. It's worth the effort though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The partnership nature of the game makes it hard to learn solo on line. It would be more or less learning to play football on line with 10 other people on your team all of whom read different playbooks before you got together.

I imagine online play can work to learn. But you want to have a partner you are learning together with and ideally opponents too, so the four of you can share your knowledge and grow together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What preview button?
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with playing on Yahoo with the beginners (and often the intermediates) don't really understand or follow the normal conventions. A lot of the communication in the bidding process is based on certain bids meaning certain things. If one partner is speaking Spanish and the other is speaking Russian (so to speak), they'll have a hard time communicating with one another.

You'll often find yourself way overbid in unmakeable contracts or way underbid in cakewalk contracts. That being said, the opportunity to play lots of hands in that format will help with your hand play. Just don't expect to learn too much out of the bidding process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colleen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the acbl.org and download the free Learn to Play Bridge 1 and 2 software. That will give you a solid start. Yahoo bridge is pretty terrible. I recommend bridgebase.com. It's free and there are great players. It's also duplicate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.