Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dust to Dust.

So I first game across Dust while browsing www.gamesinabox.com, looking to see what games I wanted to try. I then came to BGG to get a bit more info about it, to see if it was worth my time. The pictures looked interesting, and the reviews I saw looked positive. So I figured why not. If myself and/or my group didn't like it, I could always sell or trade it for something else. So with part of my tax refund, I went out and purchased Dust. And tonight I finally got to play it.

I decided to post this in the General forum since it will contain impressions, some reviewing, and sessions all in one. Obviously I've only had one play, so I'm no expert.

Now, where to start. First I don't regret the purchase. Even if my friends didn't enjoy it, I sure as hell did even with the stumbling that was done. And of course with more plays under my belt, things will go smoother. The quality is top-notch all around. Awesome minis with a nice retro look to them, with no extra flash or misshapped parts. At least non that I found. There are a lot of pieces. The fact that they're pre-sorted and bagged is excellent, and always a plus. The artwork is beautiful. The dice are simple to understand. Either its a target reticle(hit), or blank(miss). Nothing to get mixed up about. I like that the units have different roles and values. I also like how the you the roller get to decide what your opponent loses, which really makes things interesting. Tactical Supremecy is also a nice touch, which means that the advantage isn't always with the attacker. And it means you need to plan your forces carefully. And of course the cards, which determine the order of play and how often you can do certain actions. Very refreshing in my opinion. You can't simply slug it out.

I can't really comment on anything I didn't like. Though I might have added one more hit to the dice, so its 3 out of 6 instead of 2. One of my friends couldn't roll to save his life. One particularly bad example was he rolled 6 dice and didn't get a hit. He had the card though that allowed him to reroll all of the dice(having to accept the outcome) and again rolled blanks. And that wasn't his only bad experience.

Somethings I'd like to see added, which I think would be useful are player aid cards, which detail the turn order, the different types of attacks, movements, and what not. Make it easier to reference instead of flipping through the rulesbook all the time. Especially describing the special actions of each card. I don't think I could ever memorize each of them, especially if I was only play a few times a month. The little sheet with the unit cost, dice, and supremecy on it was helpful, but I wanted three more so each person could have their own. Of course there are 3 of them, so having 1 per pair wasn't terrible.

I would have also liked to have seen more on the universe, perhaps even a blurb about the comic book and where to find more.

The rules were a lot to take in at first, and I forgot to mention the special attacks units like subs and bombers get to make, so we didn't play with them.

I think that's about all I have to say. Overall it was a very enjoyable experience and I can't wait to play again. Definintely a well crafted game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the review/session report/first impressions!! I picked this up about a month ago, but haven't had a chance to play ityet. Most of the people in my group have read through the rulebook and they are all looking forward to getting into this. The universe does seem interesting and it has even lead me to invest a bit into AT-43, the tabletop spinoff if you will.

I also like many of the things you mentioned about the game and think this is a huge improvement over many other games of this type (cough, Risk, cough). I also like the fact that you can't just keep attacking all night long and need to consolidate your forces to allow you time to plan your attack better. I think this one will certainly be a hit around our parts once we get a chance to try it out.

Thanks, again!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No thank you.

Something we(I) really screwed up was the victory point thing. I'm so use to playing Catan with the victory point swing, that that is how we were playing all night. Well, until we each decided we had 15 points. I kept wondering how you were suppose to get so many, and its because you get points for holding a Capital or Power Center that round. So even if you lose it, you don't lose the points for it. Makes things a lot easier, and go faster!

Boy I felt dumb with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[no use for a name]
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPNOR wrote:

Somethings I'd like to see added, which I think would be useful are player aid cards, which detail the turn order, the different types of attacks, movements, and what not.

Here you can find a pretty useful player aid:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/42894/premium-single-page-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.