Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Z A
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay...I've been reading and rereading the rulebook for a week now (from the moment I "discovered" this game). I, as of yet, do not own a copy of the game so I can't "fiddle" to figure things out. Maybe I'm just dumb, but could someone please explain (as if you would to a child) what the following "rule" means.

Quote:
Attacks resolved as feints or retreats before combat excepted (which don’t count because there are no leading units in such attacks), artillery-led attacks cannot be made from the same attack approach on consecutive rounds unless the attack locale is a hill and the defense locale is not.

NT rulebook, pg. 6, section 11, sub-section 5 "Attack Declaration"

I think I figured every thing else out, and I think I have a basic idea of what to "do" with various units. I just can't put together a mental picture of what this rule entails. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I am getting a copy, eventually. The dink at my local game store gave me a week long run around before informing me that it "wasn't worth the trouble" to get one game in for one guy. So, in the morning I'm going to call the big "we carry ALL" game store in the city and get them to find me one. They already said they could so I just have to call and place the order, I was just thinking "support your local store" and all that, boy was I wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic rule is, "artillery-led attacks cannot be made from the same attack approach on consecutive rounds." That means, across a given approach, you can't lead an attack with artillery two turns in a row. (An artillery-led attack is a little different than other attacks, in that the artillery doesn't move, and it doesn't take any losses.)

The exceptions to that rule are:
- "the attack locale is a hill and the defense locale is not."
- "Attacks resolved as feints." This is kind of a weird case, but if my artillery were in reserve in locale A, I could declare an attack against locale B. If you don't retreat, then I could declare the attack to be a feint, and move my artillery into the approach. But as the rules mention in that section you quoted, when an attack is resolved as a feint, you never get as far as revealing leading pieces, so that attack (which may have involved only artillery) wouldn't prevent me from making an artillery-led attack across that approach in the following turn.
- "retreats before combat." If I declare an attack, and you retreat-before-combat, then I have to move someone into the locale you just left from. That could be the artillery I bombarded you with last turn, as this doesn't count as "an artillery-led attack" (again, because we never get as far as revealing leading pieces).

Does that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
- "Attacks resolved as feints." This is kind of a weird case, but if my artillery were in reserve in locale A, I could declare an attack against locale B. If you don't retreat, then I could declare the attack to be a feint, and move my artillery into the approach.

Actually, the artillery in that example doesn't need to be in reserve; it could be blocking the approach.

Suppose at 10AM I make an artillery-led attack across an approach, and I wipe out your defending units, but you've got others in reserve. If, on your turn, you don't move anyone up into the approach, then at 11AM I might declare another attack across the approach, in the hopes that you'll just retreat (possibly taking losses). If you don't, and I don't have any other units which could make the attack, then I would have to do one of the following:
- declare the attack a feint, "using" the artillery (I don't reveal them, I just say "here's the command, and here are the units, and it's a feint"); you move at least one of the-defending-pieces-you-named into the approach, and we're done.
- make an attack with zero leading pieces. (!!) I might do this if I think that none of your defending pieces can be named as leading pieces, and that I'm going to win ties.

What I can't do is declare an artillery-led attack, because I did that in the previous turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z A
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES!!! THANK YOU!!!

I now have a perfect mental picture.

Thank you!

I cannot WAIT to get this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, essentially the rule is saying that unless you have artillery firing downhill, you can only fire them every other turn (hour). By fire, I mean an actual artillery attack (not a feint or attack in which units retreat).

Have you emailed Bowen to see what shipping on the game would be to Canada? ALl things being equal, it seems generally that the best price on Simmons games is at Simmons games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gerardy
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To ship to Winnipeg, the final amount was for $75 CAD all included. Whith the exchange rates now, it would probably be cheaper.

It took about 8 days to arrive. I would recommend ordering directly from simmons games, unless you can get a better price for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z A
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He he he.

I took yer advice and ordered it directly from Simmons Games today!

Hopefully it'll get here during reading week (fingers crossed).

I'm so excited it think I'm gonna wet myself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.