Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: My Mad Mag renewal - Considering the unthinkable rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading Mad Magazine for regularly for about 35 years, and have had a subscription for about 20. I got a renewal form in the mail yesterday, and I am actually considering not renewing.

Maybe, at 45 years of age, I've finally outgrown it. I am familiar enough with popular culture to get the jokes, but old enough to not care.

Sophistication and Mad Magazine don't usually go together, but in the past not all articles were aimed at 13-year-old boys. Gone are the musical parodies that used classic Broadway tunes (would kids today even know classic show tunes?). Dave Berg's Berg's Eye View poked fun of all aspects of life, from childhood to old age. Movie and TV parodies, once a staple, are infrequent now.

There are parts I still like. Monroe is pretty funny. I get a kick out of Planet Tad. John Caldwell's comics are usually very funny. Sergio Argonies (sp) has frequent feature articles besides the marginal dramas. Al Jaffe is still grinding out the fold-ins. Many of the new generation of artists are outstanding.

As I type this, I realize that there is indeed enough to amuse me, but I'm not excited to receive a new issue these days.

There does not seem to be anything to "graduate" to anymore. Gone are National Lampoon and Spy magazines. The Onion used to be good, but has grown tiresome, using the same formula over and over and over (although their non-newspaper-reprint books have have been exceptional, "Our Dumb Century" and "Our Dumb World" Atlas.)

What to do...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
I used to love Mad Magazine when I was a kid. Read it all the time. Dug the fold-ins. Have picked one up since sometime in the 80's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Loved Mad when I was a kid. . . .
But then I discovered girls.

What exactly are you saying? Should I be insulted?
I discovered girls, too, you know. Doesn't mean I still don't like to laugh. I just didn't share Mad with my dates.

/harumph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I subscribed in junior high and high school, then got tired of it.
A couple months ago, I was wating for my daughter to select some books in the teen section and I notived that they had a copy of Mad. So I picked it up to flip through it and some of the stuff had me laughing out loud. It was the issue with Hillary's campaign bus covered with bumper sticker. Some of them were really clever. I hit a few book stores hoping to find that copy, but failed. I flipped through one I did find and wasn't as amused. If it was a bi-monthly or quarterly, I think that I'd enjoy it more. As it is, I'll probably keep taking Z to the library and skimming it there.

Now with Analog, I plan to continue subscribing until my eyes go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Now with Analog, I plan to continue subscribing until my eyes go.

Swap "Asimov's" for "Analog", and I'm right with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
CameronL, I had a similar thing happen to me. I'd subscribed for many years, but didn't renew about a year ago. I'm not so sure that it was a nosedive in quality as much as the fact that I have so much competing for my attention, and it didn't make the cut. Agree that Monroe and Tad rule, though. Also agree that the Onion is waaaay past its sell-by date.

Oh, that there were a modern version of National Lampoon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being out of sight and out of mind, I'm always surprised when I see it on the news stand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Mad magazine got repetitive to me when I was about 15 in 1979, much the way The Onion seems to be to you. Humor on the web became my new fix some 15 years after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Potrazebi!

I find it inspiring that you've had a subscription all this time. I might just pick up where you are leaving off. My inner sixth-grader could use some revisiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I pulled the trigger and renewed. I'm still enjoying it.

I still wish NatLamp was still around, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cameron, I was cleaning out the basement this weekend and came across some old books and thought of you:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
CameronL wrote:
Well, I pulled the trigger and renewed. I'm still enjoying it.

And hey, if you get too bored again, remember that they're suitable for lining bird cages or house-training new pets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Scott
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally late to the party on this one, but...

I used to read a lot of MAD and Cracked magazines (although mostly MAD) when I was a lot younger.

The other day I looked at a contemporary copy of MAD magazine and was shocked -- Advertisements! GLOSSY advertisements! I think it was the first time I realized how great the old MAD magazine was.. it used to be all content! no filler! the money seemed to be spent on the artists, not the print quality.

Anyways, a ramble... I can understand why you'd want to move away from MAD.. I'd love to see your collection, though.. I'll bet it something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.