Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
This was Josh's first game of Alhambra, and he did fairly well considering.

The first turn saw both Josh and me doing well for walls, whilst Rich had a very scattershot approach to his wall building. Rich and I tied on the "d/4" buildings.

Round 1 Scoring
Merric: 1+2t+5+10 wall = 18
Josh: 2+9 wall = 11
Rich: 3+2t+6+5 wall = 16

The second round, my wall building became a lot more sloppy, but Josh displayed an inherent gift for it... which unfortunately soon began to interfere with his ability to actually place more tiles. I ran out of money entirely, and spent a few turns just trying to get some back. The round went for some time, and we were running out of tiles by the time the second scoring card came up.

Round 2 Scoring
Merric: 8+4+12+6 +12 wall => 60
Josh: 9+6+5 +15 wall => 46
Rich: 6+11+13 +11 wall +>57

In the final round, I managed to achieve a wonderful hand of money with three cards... all ones! Not a lot to buy with that.

Josh really came into problems with his wall, and had three tiles on his reserve board. Through some skillful play, I managed to take the lead on Gardens and Towers from Rich, and hoped it would be enough for the game. Rich, meanwhile, did wonderfully well with his wall to gain those important bonus points.

Round 3 Scoring
Merric: 16+2+3+11+20+21 +12 wall => 145
Josh: 17+14+4+8+6 +15 wall => 110
Rich: 8+9+14+19+8+13 +16 wall => 144

I'd won... but there was only one point in it, and Josh had done creditably well for his first game. I very much enjoy Alhambra; the game took about an hour to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas coe
United States
aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my girlfriend and i love this game. the two player variant works great! i've played it with three a couple of times and enjoyed it greatly! this is a fun game! congrats on the win!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Did you play with any of the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coxy_fc wrote:
Did you play with any of the expansions?

No. They're on my list of "things to get", but either (a) they haven't been in stock when I've been Melbourne, or (and more likely) (b) I've been buying a real lot of new games and I don't have the money left over!

I don't get to quite play Alhambra enough, either. It's a good game for 2-4 players, but when we often have 5-6 players at a game day, it makes it a bit trickier to bring out.

Still, I still want some expansions for it!

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THORBOY wrote:
my girlfriend and i love this game. the two player variant works great! i've played it with three a couple of times and enjoyed it greatly! this is a fun game! congrats on the win!!!!

Thank you. I enjoy 2-player Alhambra a lot, though I don't get to play it often.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two and three player Alhambra is quite solid. The two-player variant is great - there's plenty of room for strategy. More than three players, and you're asking for trouble. Don't do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Parker
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
m d wrote:
Two and three player Alhambra is quite solid. The two-player variant is great - there's plenty of room for strategy. More than three players, and you're asking for trouble. Don't do it.
Really? How so? I'd think that the more players, the more strategic... I've played 2ce with three and 1ce with two, and though I enjoyed the two, I'd think that 4+ would be phenomenal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brdparker wrote:
m d wrote:
Really? How so? I'd think that the more players, the more strategic... I've played 2ce with three and 1ce with two, and though I enjoyed the two, I'd think that 4+ would be phenomenal.

You don't get enough actions. Your "exact change" tiles are taken before you can act, so you can't plan ahead at all. It goes quite slowly. Check my report on a 6-player game.

4-player I'd play, and it shouldn't be too bad. 5-6 I won't play.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Parker
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense... I wonder if you could offset it by giving each player two or three viziers (using own pieces)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.