Popular Tags: [View All]
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at the Wikipedia entry for Crokinole http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crokinole and they state that Eckhardt Wettlaufer was the person that invented the game.

Quote:
The earliest known crokinole board was made by craftsman, Eckhardt Wettlaufer in 1876 in Perth County, Ontario, Canada.

Quote:
The World Crokinole Championship tournament has been held annually on the first Saturday of June since 1999 in Tavistock, Ontario (Tavistock was chosen as the host city because it was home of the games creator, Eckhardt Wettlaufer).

This is the first I'd ever heard of this. Is this actually true? My understanding was that nobody was actually sure who created it. There doesn't seem to be any web based citations to this effect.

So, what's the deal? Is this a Wikipedia thing where the person that wrote that decided that was the "fact" and nobody knows enough about it to contest it or is this the accepted truth?

Does it mean that his was the first recorded board or does this mean that he actually invented the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul sitko
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand, Eckhardt Wettlaufer is the creator of the earliest known board, but this is not to say that he created the game itself, or that there were no boards made before his, for that matter. I've changed the Wikipedia article to reflect that:

Quote:
Tavistock was chosen as the host city because it was home of Eckhardt Wettlaufer, the creator of the earliest known board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.