Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked up Vegas Showdown for $5.00 at Toys R' Us in Cincinnati, Ohio. Only thing I really saw on clearance, but it's totally worth $5.00.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odd but true...

The desert outside Las Vegas is not covered in sand. It's covered in copies of Vegas Showdown. It really cuts down on production costs. In fact, they call it 'harvesting' the game instead of producing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
Odd but true...

The desert outside Las Vegas is not covered in sand. It's covered in copies of Vegas Showdown. It really cuts down on production costs. In fact, they call it 'harvesting' the game instead of producing it.

And it's grown from the long-since-sown seeds of E.T. the Extraterrestrial for the Atari 2600.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Sean,

The N KY Kmarts have had Heroscape Rise of the Valkyrie on sale for 12 bucks. Might want to check that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Morse
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
I'm in Cincinnati, which Toys R' Us was it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Brooks
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day..."
badge
Gnome dance is best dance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game. It's too bad Hasbro/WotC killed it by making 3 billion of them (apparently)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gilby123 wrote:
Great game. It's too bad Hasbro/WotC killed it by making 3 billion of them (apparently)

I'm not sure how they managed to kill it - unless you mean that they won't be making any more copies of it. They made it available to lots of people. It's still ranked in the top 120 here at BGG - it's a well-liked game. It just doesn't have much trade/resale value due to the glut of them on the market. Due to the firesale Hasbro is having to do with them now, I doubt they'll ever reprint it. Like any other highly rated out-of-print game, the cheap copies will eventually dry up and the market value will slowly go up. But with this much of a glut, it will probably be very slow (5-10 years?). And probably won't ever get too high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Seelbach
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good. Everyone wins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one off of Colerain Ave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Brooks
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day..."
badge
Gnome dance is best dance.
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
gilby123 wrote:

I'm not sure how they managed to kill it - unless you mean that they won't be making any more copies of it. They made it available to lots of people. It's still ranked in the top 120 here at BGG - it's a well-liked game. It just doesn't have much trade/resale value due to the glut of them on the market. Due to the firesale Hasbro is having to do with them now, I doubt they'll ever reprint it. Like any other highly rated out-of-print game, the cheap copies will eventually dry up and the market value will slowly go up. But with this much of a glut, it will probably be very slow (5-10 years?). And probably won't ever get too high.

I think they killed it (and much of the rest of the AH line) is by printing so many copies of them. They printed bucketloads of them and flooded the market, both online and off, without thinking ahead how it might impact the line name or the games in the line. What I fear is how many look at the game after playing oh of the more lousy AH release titles like Monsters Menace America or Rocketville and turn their nose up at it. Through their poor decision-making, they cheapened the name of the line and the games in it and it's really too bad with games like Nexus Ops and Vegas Showdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.