18 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Why two encounter phases? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Phillips

Iowa
msg tools
Has anyone seen a reason why you need a separate phase for Arkham encounters vs. other world encounters? It seems to just confuse everything, making the players go out of order when someone is in another world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly because you can have an encounter in Arkham, then get pulled to an Outer World and still have an encounter there.

Want to speed up the game a little? Dispense with needing everyone to take turns in order entirely. The impact on the game is pretty minimal, but it makes everything go a lot faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So that when you enter an Arkham location with an open gate, you are sucked through the gate (Arkham Encounter) and have an encounter in the Other World (Other World Encounter) on the same turn. Otherwise you'd move through the gate (Combined Encounter Phase), and then on your next Movement Phase move to the 2nd area of the Other World, therefore only having 1 other world encounter. I think that's the main reason.

Edit: Ninja'd! yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Games: Design 'em, rewrite 'em, play 'em!
mbmbmbmbmb
It tidies up a few things. Its very easy to do the Arkham Encounters for players who are in locations, which may mean moving to another world or to other arkham locations. Then other world encounters which might include players that just came from Arkham and that could send players back to Arkham. The order of the two encounter sets prevents ambiguity and loops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clarke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get sucked through a gate due to an Arkham encounter you are delayed so won't be moving across to part 2 of the other world on your next turn.

Unless there is a rule that states the investigator is only delayed when sucked through a gate in the mythos phase - but in the encounters phase he isn't delayed?

Another reason for having 2 seperate phases is that when you land on a gate you do not spend movement points to go to the other world. Instead on your arkham event phase you get a free move into the other world, then on the other world phase you have your event there.

But really I think you can combine them into one phase with little effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniels
United States
Pepeekeo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have another question around the two encounter phases.

Let's say that you end your movement in an unstable location with no gate currently active. During the Arkham Encounter phase, a gate appears. According to the rules you are sucked into the gate and delayed. Next comes the Other Worlds (OW) Encounter, since you are now in the OW location, it would seem you now have an OW Encounter. Play continues and it is now the Movement phase. You were delayed, so you can only stand up and are still in the first section of the OW location. On the next OW Encounter phase you have another encounter. Next movement you can move to the next section of the OW location where you have a third OW encounter.

Is this correct? If you get sucked into a gate due to an Arkham encounter, you then (potentially) go through 3 OW encounters?

Thank you for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Dean
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trango wrote:
Is this correct? If you get sucked into a gate due to an Arkham encounter, you then (potentially) go through 3 OW encounters?

Thank you for the clarification.

I think this is correct. At least, that's how we've been playing it around here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd only face three OW encounters if you were delayed when you landed in the OW for some reason. Otherwise, it would just be the "standard" two OW encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
A Standard OW trip is 2 encounters.

An OW trip were you are sucked through in the Mythos phase delays you but is still only 2 encounters.

An OW trip where you are sucked through in the Arkham phase due to an encounter delays you and cause you to have 3 encounters.

Keep in mind that the actual OW encounters may delay you further (usually stated "stay here another turn") so it is possible to have even more encounters than the number above. Alternatively, they may send you back to Arkham as well, making your OW stay shorter. Though if you were delayed when you have this type of encounter, you remain delayed when you return back to Arkham.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniels
United States
Pepeekeo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. I wanted to make sure that I was playing it correctly. Coincidentally, I ended up staying five turns in the OW because of receiving "stay another turn" encounters, while my wife got out immediately because she "found a rope."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mac
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to get my brain-muscle around this last part, too. I think I get it, but I want to make sure my logic is sound.

If you go to the OW in the Mythos Phase, you first "move" in the next Mythos Phase by standing up and having an encounter. The next MP you move one and have your second. The next MP you return to Arkham.

If you get sucked in on the Arkham Phase you have a MP encounter in the same turn, accounting for the third encounter and the other two are resolved as above.

Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MeGrimlockKing wrote:
I'm trying to get my brain-muscle around this last part, too. I think I get it, but I want to make sure my logic is sound.

If you go to the OW in the Mythos Phase, you first "move" in the next Mythos Phase by standing up and having an encounter. The next MP you move one and have your second. The next MP you return to Arkham.

If you get sucked in on the Arkham Phase you have a MP encounter in the same turn, accounting for the third encounter and the other two are resolved as above.

Is that right?

Yes, you have it right.

For a more detailed review:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1981158#1981158

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MeGrimlockKing wrote:

I wouldn't think about it as occurring in the Mythos Phase. Encounters don't happen there, and it's the last phase in the turn. If a gate appears "on top of you," then you can be relocated during the Mythos phase (you go to the OW), but you won't have an encounter yet, you just move there and get delayed.

I'm not sure that the thread brian's pointing to has it right, though. It covers what happens when you find a gate during the Arkham encounter phase. You're asking about gates that appear in the Mythos Phase, which is the last in the turn. When that happens:

1) You're drawn through the gate and delayed during the Mythos Phase, but don't have an encounter (it's the wrong phase). Call this Turn A.
2) On the following turn, you stand up and have an OW encounter in the OW encounter phase. Call this Turn B.
3) Assuming you don't "stay here" per instructions on a card, you move to the right side of the OW on the next turn and have a second encounter. Call this turn C.
4) You return to Arkham and can attempt to close the gate the turn after that. Call this turn D.

So if you get sucked through a gate that appears in the Mythos phase, I believe you're following the top track he's listed (Open Gate) more than the bottom because you're heading to the OW after the encounter phases have already happened. In that instance, you end up only having two encounters in the OW. But this is only for gates that appear during Mythos.

Unless I'm wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think some of his terminology is wrong. I am not sure that he is defining "Mythos Phase" as we know it as "Phase 5." If you replace "Mythos Phase / MP" with "Game Turn" then it should all be correct. Either way, I was too tired, I guess, when I answered to catch it.

I have updated the other thread to include the resolution of gates when one opens up in the Mythos Phase 5. While it still only has 2 encounters like the first path, it is actually closer to the moves in the second path - the only difference being what happens during "Turn A."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops. If that came off as "pointing fingers," "finding blame," or "just remember - he's wrong," that wasn't the intent.

I just wanted to make sure it was clear that there are fixed points where encounters occur. The other thread was "launched" to discuss different situations, so the sequence was dead-on for that. It was the specific use of "Mythos Phase" in this one that I thought deserved a bit of additional discussion. As in - don't immediately resolve an encounter if you get pulled through a gate then.

Most of the issues I see posts on AH focus on are timing, so getting the phases right struck me as important enough to call out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mac
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, my third edit here. If I ever try and post when I'm too tired to tell my hindquarters from a hand-basket, you're officially allowed to reply with "Go to sleep and try again tomorrow." I was forgetting the movement phase existed, cramming OW encounters in the Mythos Phase and generally being dim-witted. I understand it all now, though. Thanks Brian and Ken for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
perfalbion wrote:
Whoops. If that came off as "pointing fingers," "finding blame," or "just remember - he's wrong," that wasn't the intent.

No worries! I didn't take it that way. I see now that what you say is very clear. But it's not what I thought I read at 1:30 in the morning! (I think I was readig "MP" as "movement phase" so it didn't seem odd at that time.)

Regardless, I had been meaning to add in the "3rd" resolution of gates on the other thread as it was just a "note" prior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.