Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was once again time for our more or less regular Wednesday gaming session, only this time we got only 3 players participating.. After a bit of chit chat we decided to play Brass.

As I did a Fallout player introduction last time, I'll do it this time too..

Mikko Ä:

With ~10 years in trade, Mikko is without equal in the "been there done that" department. His most curious personal trait is to be able to tell if a game sucks by looking it's cover.

Update: Recent purchases have proved that even Mikko's ability to predict game's goodness is still in the realm of the living. Mikko's latest purchase was Dust. To be fair the box is captivating. A man is a victim of his passion.

Traits:
- Jinxed
- Bloody mess
- Sex appeal (but this one is debatable)

Visa:

Visa is a more infrequent visitor in our gaming meetings, but never the less, a capable player. He is known to make strategies that could not possibly ever work to work. And he does this while having absolutely no idea of what he is doing..

Traits:
- Finesse
- Night Person

Perks:
- Awareness

Henkka:

Lately I have been getting better. Those repeated exposure therapies seem to be working.. I still have this urge to claw my eyes out every couple days and I'm suffering from deep depression from time to time. Playing good games like Brass seem to help my condition.. and then I played Dust. I spent the next few days trying to stop myself from dislodging my head. I've also been seeing lots of funny looking animals lately, they're usually nice to me.

Traits:
- Small frame
- Chem reliant(?)
- Animal Friend

-------------------------------------------

I have played now about 15 games of Brass total and I have these urges to try some more unusual strategies. That being said, I played rather regular game today too..

I started with building a level 1 coal mine to Bury as I figured after looking my cards that I'm able to build an iron works to both Manchester and Bolton (should no one else build to there). Happily, I was able to go along my plan. Visa (to whom this was his 2 second game) begun with building a cotton mill to Macclesfield and ship that, then build another one to Stockport and ship that and then couple turns later he builds third level 1 cotton mill and shipped it to my level 2 port. Now I didn't mind that, after all it was huge points for me, but Visa's one dimensional aim towards high income was interesting. He had not taken loans up to now and after this it was clear that he would not take any either. Mikko started the game pretty much as he does always, which is to develop first turn. After that he too goes for the distant market.

Towards the midway of the canal period I had managed to build a nice iron empire and used iron works up to level 3, I also developed rather heavily as I had to consume the iron that I was doing. I developed over level 1 ports as well as cotton mills and towards the end build my second port and one level 2 cotton mill. My last 2 actions were develop too and I started the rail age with one level 3 cotton mill still remaining. I guess my plan for the rail period was pretty much set in stone. Visa's plan seemed to be working also, he spent the middle and end of the canal period building mostly coal and iron, both of which provided even more income to him. By the end of the canal period Visa had about £15 income. Mikko was apparently having some issues with the cards and his cotton strategy didn't seem to evolve as he had hoped. By the end of the canal period Mikko had only one level 2 cotton mill on the board together with level 2 ironworks some coal mills and a shipyard.

The scores after canal period were something like, me 49 points, Mikko some 10 points behind and Visa about 5 points behind Mikko. I had an income of £8, Mikko had something like £10 and Visa had whopping £15. As I developed with my two last actions to flip my level 3 iron works, I got to start the rail period.

My first actions were to build a coal mine and then double railroad from it, to connect me to one of the level 2 ports on the board. Next turn I build level 3 cotton mill and shipped to the distant market. But after that my cotton strategy become increasingly difficult as I didn't draw location cards where I could build cotton mills and neither the industry cards. Visa continued to build coal mines and iron at the beginning of the rail period, after which he suddenly switched to cotton mills and ports, building some under Mikko's nose, causing severe problems to his cotton shipping. Mikko was still plagued by drawing useless cards (I had pretty good, read useful, cards the whole game). Visa (probably) should have developed over those level 2 cotton mills, however. Despite his problems with cards Mikko managed to build some level 3 cotton mills and ports to keep him still in the game.

Towards the end of the rail period I had managed to build all my iron works, 2 level 4 cotton mills one more port (level 3) and I was running out of things to build. My couple last turns were pretty much, build coal mine (I build all but one) to make coal cheaper and get some nearly free points in the process and then build double railroad. Because my industries were pretty spread out on the game board I had little trouble building at least 5 points worth links. As I was doing this, Visa was capitalizing his superior income (at the end of the game his income was £29 and only 7 steps away from 100!!) and building links also, but with the aim of building shipyards. He managed to build 2 before the game ended, leaving him with mere £4. Mikko's end game went pretty much as all his game, the cards seemed to be against him. Mikko was also mightily blocked from south by our aggressive link building and this quite enhanced the problem.

At the end our scores were; me 197 (my record is 200), Visa some 20 points behind and Mikko dead last some 20 points behind Visa. This was first time I have seen no loans (I took 2) strategy to actually work without godly luck involved. Visa's no loans strategy was quite forced and I think he took it a little too far for his own good. So, consider me a convert, I now think that the 3 player game could be won without loans (I'm still a little skeptic about the 4 player, though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As this piece of crap session report got accepted twice (because I submitted it twice as I wasn't sure it got through), I'm giving the first lad who replies to this thread 2.7 that I really should not have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
I'm first!

Great session report! I've only played Brass once so far (also a three player game). Clearly we still have lots to learn, because our points were far from yours.

[Edit] Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Ämmälä
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At this session I had absolutely the worst card flow ever. After struggling a lot throughout the second era to boot my final eight cards were 7 location cards which were already filled and one Shipyard card...Building shipyard of course failed because I had no money for both (build 2 railroad + shipyard) during a single turn. The opportunity was gone next round as the final possible slot (north: Barrow-in-Fume) became unreachable.

.mikko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitehouse
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked this report. Very detailed as to the flow of the game. I've scored 140 in a 3 player and thought I was doing well. Clearly I have a ways to go.

Thanks for posting!

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.