Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,

I'm looking at hand-making a bunch of towers from quarter sawn white oak and I was looking for some suggestions as to functionallity/demand.

Felt/no felt? Would a drawer for the players dice be a wanted feature? I was also considering providing precision backgammon dice. ( Two sets of two colors.)

Also, is there anyone here in the market for a tower? We have yet to set a price, but it probably won't be less than 60$ and no more than 100$.

Thanks,

Ler

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Carpenter
United States
Naples
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure there is a market for it, and the dice storage drawer is a nice touch, but it is a little rich for my blood. Yes, nice, flat felt in the bottom tray is a nice touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
after some experience with dice towers, here is my 2p worth.

a tray to catch the dice is almost as important as the tower itself. the tray needs to be big enough to hold a good number of dice, depending on the tower size and dice size.

the sides of the tray need to be high enough to stop the dice escaping, because the pesky blighters can bounce off of each other and fly out. yet the sides should not be too high that you cannot see the dice in the tray... its a fine line between too low and too high, some experimentation might be needed to find the optimum wall height for

lining the bottom and sides of the tray, and the baffles of the tower both improve the look and reduce dice clatter noise. lining with felt will also reduce dice bouncing in the tray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jojo Conwell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Felt for sure. Dice clattering on wood may be music to some, but for most it will be an irritation, and for any with sensitive hearing or headaches or such it will be worse.

And see=through walls for the landing tray is ideal*, so they can be tall enough so that projectile dice don't jump them, but you can still see the dice.

Of course in my experience dicetowers are more objects of beauty and novelty than something that will be used frequently consistently. But I will post that question as a different forum.

*see last paragraph, since this point may be moot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, definitely felt! There is nothing worse than dice clatter!shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that at $60 your going to attract a very limited audience that is buying them more as art objects than as functional towers.

I think that most people would prefer felt. The clatter is amusing for the first 15 minutes and then annoying. (My opinion.) Especially if your playing at the table next over.

I bought a plastic mass produced one for $12, and the biggest problem with it is when there are multiple dice being rolled, which causes some of them to get knocked out of the bottom tray - defeating the purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$60 is to much. Quartersawn is a waste on an object this small,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to ruin your business but IMHO you should look at other companies within this sector. Vixen Tor Games is one that will be in your league. Check their prices...

There are roughly 3 groups for dice-towers:
- those that need them for rolling dice and will go for the cheap plastic ones (price matters)
- those that prefer look (read: wood) but will go for the best prices
- those that see these things also as an object of art

The last group might buy expensive towers because of the wood used, the artwork or whatever. But this group splits - there are those that would build their own towers.

My wife made me one using leather for the slopes (we used a kind of felt for our first tower which did not stand the test of time - the felt, not the tower) and painted the tower using the artwork from one of my favorite games. This wonderful tower always stays at home.

So if I would buy another one for conventions or so I would be group 2.

This are my subjective 2 cents - hope it helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.