Popular Tags: [View All]
Jojo Conwell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Do you use your dicetower regularly or does it gather dust on a shelf or in a box?

[EDIT] How many dicetowers do you play with at your table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple. They mostly gather dust. It's only used for games where I have to throw several dice on a regular basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big fan of dice trays. They allow all to see the outcome of the rolls and usually allow you to roll from farther away. Plus, I like the act of rolling the dice, it feels less automated...

If I wanted automated, I'd buy 100 dice and put them all in a gum ball machine with a flat dispensing tray. Wait a minute...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got three of them. I use the ALL the time. Any time we play a game with dice, they come out. And if I forget to bring them to the table, my friends say, "Hey, where are the dice towers?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmb
I have got three that I bought from VixenTor. They are used all of the time. They are practical. Keeps dice rolls isloated off the game board. Randomizes the rolls. Most importantly... they look cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say.

I've thought of buying one, but the price has not yet been right for me. No one in my gaming groups have them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb

I have a homemade one that I use all the time. My son refuses to use it though. I use to roll on the table and the dice would go on the floor or get lost. With the tower I know I will get a random number shaking them up well and they won't get lost, unless I miss the top. I got the materials to make mine from stuff at work (foam, cardboard boxes), all I had to buy was glue. You don't really need it, you can use a box lid but they are nice to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo van der Horst
Netherlands
Capelle aan den IJssel
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have built two of them:

Even though I'm usually not too good at crafts, I'm quite happy with the way they turned out.

As for the use: no game of Twilight Imperium is played without them. When other games use more than one or two dice, the towers are used too. Easy to get and set up, and they take up no more table space than the space needed to safely roll dice otherwise.

So, novelty or game staple? I'd say both. Unless you play games in which you have to roll dozens of dice every turn, they're not strictly necessary. Games are more fun with them though. The muffled clatter is......soothing to the soul.

The people I play with request the dice towers to be used with less dice-intensive games as well. It was a bit of a pain to make them (as I'm not too crafty), but I'm glad now that I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Use them ALL THE TIME. I have a big one I made, a fancy one I traded for with FirePigeon, and a smaller one from Vixentor . . .

. . . People LOVE the big one and the FirePigeon one . . .

. . . but the small Vixentor one gets used, by far, the most! TI3 and other very epic games see the use of the big towers, but the compact Vixentor is like that guy who is quiet, nobody objects to, and is always around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jojo Conwell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks for your replies.

In my experience, if you have one dicetower at the table you should have two so that each player can reach a dicetower easily.

For me they have been more of a novelty, a great idea, but I usually travel to my gaming events and I would rather travel with more games instead of less games and a couple of dicetowers.

I am recently infatuated by the idea of dicetrays though....something that was lined with felt, and fit together nicely so they would not take up much space while traveling. I would also put a kind of monolith in the middle of the tray; something to aim for, and something to break up the boring flat space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John VanDenBerg
United States
Farmington
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went from dice towers to dice trays to dice cups. Towers and trays now collect dust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a builder of towers, I think you need atleast 5 of them! Seriously, if you are playing a game like 4+ player Settlers where the dice are rolled every turn by each player you will need two towers or have someone as the designated roller... which in that case makes the tower devalued and it is better having everyone roll in their vincinity.

Games like Pizza Box Football are alot of fun because the rolling aspect is prolonged a bit by the dice bouncing through the tower and then tumbling to a stop. I take a tower about everywhere I go, but only bring it out when I know that it will enhance the gameplay experience.

rob
www.geocities.com/crosstowngames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a neat thread recently on home-built Lego dice towers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jojo Conwell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mease19 wrote:

If I wanted automated, I'd buy 100 dice and put them all in a gum ball machine with a flat dispensing tray. Wait a minute...

Someone made an industrial version of your idea.
http://gamesbyemail.com/News/DiceOMatic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jojo Conwell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
lmyrick wrote:
I've got three of them. I use the ALL the time. Any time we play a game with dice, they come out. And if I forget to bring them to the table, my friends say, "Hey, where are the dice towers?"

Thats awesome.
Are your dicetowers quiet?
I know the noise can bother some people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jojo Conwell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
JTQuest wrote:
I went from dice towers to dice trays to dice cups. Towers and trays now collect dust.

I use a plastic dice tray and the box lid, as a dice tray(it has an insert that makes it a good dice tray), for Can't Stop, and I use the dice cups from Perudo for Kingsburg.

Those are the only games that I play regularly that use dice, so I am still figuring out what I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
At any game when we're rolling dice (typically Catan and it's derivatives, or Memoir '44) the home-made dice towers come out... usually one at each table corner for easy reach by all players. Or one tower at the side of the board for two-player games.

Several people have expressed enough interest in building their own that I may actually end up conducting a dice-tower building workshop. First thought for a venue was the public library, but they would probably frown on everyone wielding X-Acto knives.

As for noise level, I guess it depends on both the environment, and the TYPE of noise. Dice inside a foam board tower is actually kind of a pleasing sound, unless of course you're at another table being bombarded by Risk battles. I've actually designed one ultra-quiet tower so quiet that it's suitable even when there's a baby asleep in the next room. Material? Cork board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a dicetower, and it's the kind that's in 2 pieces; the tower part can stand up in the tray for use, or fit lying down in the tray for travel/storage, or you can take the tower out completely and just use the tray as a dice tray.

So far we don't use it regularly. I initially wanted one to use in a game where only one person really needs to roll the dice (Roborally with zombies, don't ask), so I didn't think about this:

josephc4 wrote:
In my experience, if you have one dicetower at the table you should have two so that each player can reach a dicetower easily.

but that is SO true. We've used just the dice tray some, because that's easier to pass back and forth, but it's not really satisfactory using just one tower. If I get a chance to buy another that's just like the one I have, I probably will. But I'll probably still just use them for dice-heavy games like Pirate's Cove. But that's because I usually travel to wherever I game. If I were gaming in my own gameroom the towers might be more of a standard fixture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Miner
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Karl Malden said, "Don't leave home without it!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gregory duff
United States
Ft.Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have purchased two dice towers from Vixentor so far.

http://www.vixentorgames.com/categoryselection.asp

Battle Cry and Memoir 44. I always use them because they enhance the gaming experience thematically with their beauty and practicality
(plus I am a rabid dicer & usually knock over pieces & such without a tower!).I am so spoiled now.......

I am having another custom made for the upcoming Battles Of Napoleon: Eagle & The Lion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

josephc4 wrote:
Do you use your dicetower regularly or does it gather dust on a shelf or in a box?

[EDIT] How many dicetowers do you play with at your table?

None whatsoever for determining dice throws. In my opinion, dice towers are good only as a method of determining influence/resource distribution using little colored blocks (as in Rio Grande Games' "Shogun").

So I consider dice towers as little more than portable commodes for dice appropriate for folks who are too weak-wristed and/or simply too lahdeedah-constipated to shake their dice in a felt-lined dice cup and throw them into a dice arena or onto a table.

Besides, dice towers' little cantilevered shelves within interfere with the directional flow of one's mojo and reduce all dice rolls to mere renderings of Chance.

So, to paraphrase the late actress Joan Crawford: "No more dice towers ever!!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Price
Japan
Nishinomiya-shi
Hyogo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What I like about dicetowers is that they reduce the space needed to roll the dice. I'm not blessed with a particularly big house, or even huge gaming tables. Having something that lets us play D&D or some other dice rolling game without knocking over all the pieces is great.

If you've got the space on the other hand I don't think there'd be any pressing need or great reason to use them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
We use our dice towers regularly. Knowing that the dice aren't going to knock everything over is the main reason. We play with our children and they can get a bit uncontrolled with the dice at times (not to mention the adults who are guilty of the same).

Recently we have had four wooden ones on the table at once. Two nice large ones:

and two more miniature portable ones. Sorry, no photographs of these yet because the pyrographic designs aren't done.

Finally, I'm looking forward to cracking these two out at our next session:

For a total of six, although I doubt all will be on the table together.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.