Craig J
United States
East Hampton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure that that subject line turned a few heads...

Anyway, thanks to the recent "Hot Deals" tip posted by Skeletodoc, my collection is about to crest the 200 games mark.

I ordered 9 more games from NewSpiel, which as usual provoked a standard question from my non-geek wife. "Don't you have enough games?", she said.

Normally I respond with some sort of humorous answer intended to diminish further inquiries, such as "there's no such thing as too many games", but this time I took a pause...

200 games... now that's not a small collection by any means; at least I think so, but to my wife it's absolutely beyond enormous. Of course to a fellow geek like Skeletodoc, I'm probably viewed as a mere acolyte in this hobby. After all, he boasts a mind-boggling 935 items in his inventory.

Now I know that "scale" is subjective to the personal views of the beholder, but we’re all geeks here; we’re not like the "normals" in this world as we share this strange compulsion to collect bits of plastic and cardboard (and use them in a rules-based, war-like manner against each other).

So, my question is this... what constitutes a "Large" collection to us Geeks?

Incidentally, my wife also follows up her patented "enough games" question with the timeless, "You know? You have probably only played 40 of the games you own..." My reply is always, "If you don’t send me to an early grave me with your constant bickering, I figure I’ve got about another 30 years left to play the rest of them..." Of course, I’m only joking when I say that; She's actually pretty darn cool, and even plays Lost Cities and Carcassonne with me from time-to-time. As it stands, I may make a Geek out of her yet as she's now sporting a BGG "New User" badge under the user name "phaedre".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Festivus wrote:
So, my question is this... what constitutes a "Large" collection to us Geeks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When is enough.... enough? Couple of thoughts offered up on that in various threads. I agree with those who say, "Enough is the amount of games that you have played many of them and those that aren't played are waiting on a shelf in the anticipation of being played."

then there is the old chestnut...

There are never enough games.

I'm more the former than the latter but a small bit of me yearns to be with the latter party... no consequences on the size of my collection... it's enjoyed just in it's being.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know where the threshold is, but your collection qualifies as large.

Even though we see games that we want to get, and we have valid reasons for wanting to add them, the size of our existing collection does not enter into that decision.

At some point in time (and space) your collection became large. We may be a little uncertain as to the exact point, but nevertheless, you are there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided I have too many games. I'm at around 100 and there are so many that I haven't even played yet. And many that I have played haven't been played in a long time. So for me: "Enough is enough when I have about 20 unplayed games on the shelf". I just don't have the time to give each the attention they deserve. Time to unload some...but nobody wants them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am of the "no collection is too large."

When I have a game that I know I won't ever play, I sell or trade it away unless it has some nostalgic value. If I see game for a reasonable price that I think I might want to play sometime, I buy it.

Ever is a long time and reasonable seems to be a meaningless adjective in this case. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david karasick
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My large collection began 7 years ago when I got "addicted". I have games stored in my computer room, son's bedroom and garage. I can't seem to stop the buying urge. There's something about opening that carton, pulling off the shrinkwrap, unloading the components, reading the rules and playing that first game that is exhilarating. With 2 sons ,we played tons of 3player games, but with my oldest at college now, I play mostly 2player games with my other highschooler son. Everytime I look at my games I swear not to buy anymore, yet that feeling fades quickly after surfing BBG and BGN everyday as well as all the discounter web sites. Someday I will unload a ton of games somewhere and downsize but until that day..............GAME ON!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If it was Cars, Mistresses or Parking Tickets, yes 200 is getting up there. (Possibly an answer in that stament for your wife.)

In reality for a geek 200 is MOST of the Good ones AND MOST of the cool looking ones. You Just got to get a few of the rest (uh-huh just a few more) and then your collection will be complete.

You can always compare your collection to her collection of silverware and cooking utensils like the daily silverware, special silverware, kids dishes, regular dishes, special occasion dishes and collector dishes, and look at all those dang spatulas!!!

If she doesent have over 200 (we got over 50 coffee cups and I am the only one that drinks coffee) You should be able to get her collection to over 200 if you work at it, just buy her some more spatula's untill she has 200 items in her cooking collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm firmly in the camp that beleives there is no such thing as too many games. I also tend to think that once you reach about 50 games, you have a pretty good sized collection. And once you hit 100, I think you qualify as having a large collection. So, your 200 seems plenty big to me.

If you are interested in how you compare to other geeks, Matthew Gray (mkgray), used to post a lot of BGG data -- even had a stat of the week post for a little while. Here is his data for game ownership among those who posted collections on the Geek:

If you have ...you are in the
more than this top:
many games...

528 1%
365 2%
219 5%
132 10%
69 20%
41 30%
26 40%
16 50%
4 75%

So, at 200 games, you would almost be in the top 10% of geeks who have listed their collections. That's probably not something you would want to mention to your wife. Unfortunately, that data is from Sep 2005, so it may no longer apply. It would be interesting to see an updated list.

Another interesting post from Matthew is his collection size calculator that he first talked about in this post:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/111172

It appears, though, that his links there are no longer working which is unfortunate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
pepperhead wrote:

You can always compare your collection to her collection of silverware and cooking utensils like the daily silverware, special silverware, kids dishes, regular dishes, special occasion dishes and collector dishes, and look at all those dang spatulas!!!

Whoa, dude - are you ever setting yourself up for getting one of those "dang spatulas" shoved up your ass.

Most wives do NOT see the items you mentioned as being "hers", and (here's where you're going to end up with something inserted) most men, upon giving the subject some good, objective thought, would probably tend to agree with them. If you're going to need those items to make meals and entertain guests, how in the hell does that make them exclusively "hers" - or even discretionary at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.