Rich S.
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
Well, this is just silly.
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of Risk: Black Ops arrived today.

http://richsommer.vox.com/library/post/phenomenal-nerdery-al...

In case you're curious as to what you'd discover inside, I took some pictures of the Grand Opening.

The box, in shrink. I considered waiting until this weekend to open it, when I have people here with whom to play, but I couldn't do it. Too excited.

The first thing you see is your Field Guide, aka the rulebook. It's a folder containing a stack of reference cards.

(sorry for the bad focus)
They're broken up into the following categories: Overview of Components, How To Set Up Basic Training (the basic game), How To Draft Troops, How To Attack, Objectives & Rewards, and Ending Your Turn. Each card is double-sided and cleanly guides you through the new rules.

Beneath the Field Guide is a sheet of cardboard dog tags. These are the missions. The major missions are silver, and the minor missions are copper. Below them are the mission rewards, used in the advanced game (Control Room).

Take that out, and you'll find the shrinkwrapped board.

It's a lot thicker than I anticipated.

The lower left corner holds your missions and rewards for that game.

So. Pretty.

Finally, under the board, you'll find the rest of the components.

The dice are under the cards.

This is the 5-player set up for the basic game.

Bit by bit, the contents of the Black Ops box.

I'm desperately hoping to get it to the table this weekend.

It looks pretty badass.

(Edited for formatting.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rool:

Where's my review copy?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ajax
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fo rizzle.

Do you need to be famous in order to receive this puppy?

Recognize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very pretty indeed.

It's a shame this is strictly a promotional item, and the final product will be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it may be nice, but it doesn't have the RED OCEANS OF BLOOD like the version us gaming peasants will get! So THERE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Kalajian Jr
United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*shivers*

We wants one preciousssss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Schmidt
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
Tease!

Love those wooden pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ajax
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in LA. Taking classes at UCLA.

Let me know if you need any more players to test it out.

AJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geekgasm! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Oates
United Kingdom
Leeds, West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
The more I see this version, the less I like it. Sure it's appearance is cool, but when I think about playing it as a game, rather than just gazing at it in a picture, I think I would rather have more colourful graphics on the board. I accept I appear to be in the minority.

I'm not sure about the arrows that are reportedly going to be included in the commercially available product, as they seem to me to be a bit of a retro design step, but other than that I'm pretty sure some use of colour and more obvious detail would enhance my enjoyment of the game.

I'm definitely interested. I was thinking about picking up one of the Star Wars Risks as my collection is missing a multi-player dice-roller, but I might hold off until this is released.

ps Are there creases in the board shown above? I hope those are removed from the final version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb Adams
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So are you going to just let the red player take South America on the first turn or what? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Having looked carefully at the photo kindly posted from the Nuremburg Toy Show, and these well-shot pictures, my 52-year-old brain is thinking about my 52-year-old eyes (well, to be honest, a couple of weeks from 53 . . . ).

The "Black Ops" title, theme and graphics are undeniably attractive and in harmony with each other.

The wooden pieces, while utilitarian, are a little bit odd with the highly-contemporary presentation of board, box, mission "dog tags" and rules. However, in a review copy, they are acceptable, even predictable if the "production" bits are to be kept away from public gaze for a time yet.

However, the cat seems to be out of the bag with the German Risiko edition piece-wise. I like the Risiko-edition cities, very much indeed. Both the physical design and the concept. It seems to promise more interesting strategies and abundant replayability. The capitals look to be hollow plastic tubes with a star at one end--utilitarian yet attractive enough; however, a bit odd considering the buildings featured on the city piece. Perhaps the idea is not to re-create anybody's actual national capitol building so as not to cause offense at exclusion, but to use a generic marker instead.

The arrows are, at first glance, very disappointing, especially for a Bits Puppy like me hoping for tanks, aircraft and the like.

But they're growing on me. I love Bowen Simmons' "Look" in "Bonaparte at Marengo" and "Napoleon's Triumph." The arrows are something of a modern equivalent of that "old map markers" look. I can live with them.

The board is strange. Yet, the more I think about it, the more I like the colorful mass-market edition. Sure, I'd prefer blue seas--but certainly not the blue-black of New Edition Axis & Allies, in which I feel like all naval operations take place at night.

Since the focus in "Risk" is on land events, it makes sense to me for the land masses to be easily readable, easy on the eyes and readily interpreted in relation to each other. Perhaps the red seas are more muted in the production version, but the more I look at it, the more I like it.

The more I read about the multitude of objectives and considerations, the more I'm looking forward to the game, colors and all.

I'll miss those little soldiers, though, which I believe were Larry Harris' idea in place of blocks, caltrops and extruded Roman numerals.

It does occur to me that anyone with a "Fortress America" game can pretty readily jazz up the new "Risk," at least a four-player version, using the three invader colors and US blue pieces: infantry for "1"s, tanks and mechs for "3"s and helos/planes for "5"s.

A fifth player would just have to deploy swarms of FA NRA members packing Remingtons with scopes and no heavy equipment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dvonn Yinsh
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The presentation of Black Ops is nicely done. It is unlike any other versions of Risk that I have seen. It conveys a certain sophistication and maturity. The modern, military theme shines through. The rules being filed in a dossier is very cool. The black motif has an understated elegance that ties the overall package together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
i want to purchase your copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.