Subject: retreats over own armies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asger Garde
Denmark
Gentofte
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I have yet to play this game, I'm sad to say, but im loooking very much forward to it.

I'm not quite sure of this retreat rule, that you cannot retreat into or over your own armies and/or supply trains.

Firstly because it is different from virtually any other wargame i've ever played, secondly because is seems very easy to be surrounded.

Do I understand this rule correctly?

asger ;o)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
dear asger,

yes, you understand the rules correctly.
A general cannot retreat on or through ANY piece, incl. his own generals and supply trains.

And yes, this increases the chances to be surrounded, but only if you leave your generals on *stupid* places. ;-)

richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asger Garde wrote:
Firstly because it is different from virtually any other wargame i've ever played, secondly because is seems very easy to be surrounded.

It may sound easy, but it really isn't. It's quite a large map and it's fairly rare that any player really wants too many armies operating close together. If the armies are close, then there's an opening or a weakness somewhere (like leaving supply trains exposed). It's rare that more than two armies for one nation are in particularly close proximity.

Quote:
Do I understand this rule correctly?

You do, but it's not the issue one would think. The nations don't have that many armies to use, and the fronts tend to be too large to make it a useful tactic all that often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Telle
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There may only be few encirclements in Friedrich Games, but there is quite often the threat of encirclement. Usually you will not have two of your own pieces sitting beside each other - you will normally stack your generals and leave your supply trains a little further back.

I would say a successful encirclement occurs every second game or so. Most often it happens when the attacker retreats and is being retreated by the defender to a city with only two or three roads leading to it. The defender will have the next move among those two battling nations and may find a way to move his generals (and maybe even a supply train) so that he can block all roads to the city where the enemy is and attack him there. Of course one would close to always only encircle if one is confident to win the fight. Otherwise the encircled general will be stronger and you will see the opponents retreating in all directions .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.