Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Walsh
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife , 12 year old and I christened this game tonight and I thought I would give you my view on it albeit after just one play in 3 areas :
The first two have been issues raised by BGGer's with regard to the game and the third is one that all BGGer's should be interested in ...

1. Too Much Luck

My daughter won by a score of 82 - 73 - 67 (yep, I was last !!). She drew a '7' and 2 '6's so you could argue that they may have been enough to secure her victory .

Fact is however that anyone playing Thebes should realize that there is a fair (significant ?) degree of luck involved . Simply put - don't want luck - don't play Thebes (or other such chance filled games.)

But I hear you say was there TOOmuch of it - I don't think it cripples the game but am willing to reserve judgement for a few more forays yet .

2. Exhibitions Are Rarely Used

Not so in this game as we scored 7 of the 10 available and my daughter's points scored via them boosted her score enough for her to win .

(DISCLAIMER #1 : WE PLAYED WITH THE SMALL EXHIBITION = 5 POINTS , LARGE = 7 POINTS AS SUGGESTED BY SEVERAL GAMERS.
#2 - AGAIN AS SUGGESTED IN A FORUM HERE WE REMOVED ONE DIRT PER DIG AND PLACED IT ON THE BOARD . ME THINKS THIS IS A SMALL BUT NEVERTHELESS SIGNIFICANT ANTI-LUCK MITIGATING FACTOR !)

Most of the exhibitions were scored in the final year but several were keenly sort as in several cases a player was beaten to the punch by another .

3.WAS IT FUN ? (SURELY A PREREQUISITE FOR MOST IF NOT ALL !)
YES !!!My 12 year old loved it - winning probably helped but she is not the competitive type (Glad the uber-combative 9 year-old didn't play this one - and lose !)

Fact was that as the game drew to the end we were all striving for the winning move - be that a Congress card , a final dig , flushing the cards in Warsaw for something favourable or the like .

The theme and drawing mechanism is a winner as others look on to their delight/chagrin as the artifacts and or dirt are revealed .

So : Too much luck --- probably not .
Exhibitions of little use --- I very much doubt it .
Fun --- Getting down and dirty with them crazy,crazy fun-lovin'
mummy-diggers is well worth it !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've looked through the variants but can't find the exhibition and dig rules you used. Any idea which posts they were in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Walsh
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coxy_fc wrote:
I've looked through the variants but can't find the exhibition and dig rules you used. Any idea which posts they were in?

I don't know how to do the fancy here's the thread reference Greg because I'm still semi-BGG illiterate but if you go to "Reducing Luck Through Reducing Draws" you will see that the OP suggests some variations which I have in fact misunderstood !
Anyway , the leaving out 1 sand for each dig on the board near the dig site worked well again tonight when I played my daughter . We ended up with between 3-5 sand at each site by game's end which obviously increases(not unreasonably , I'd have thought)the opportunity of grabbing artifacts near game's end . In fact in very late , modest digs both my daughter and I got reasonable returns for our time .

The Exhibition variant used is proposed by Michael Stanley in the post "Exhibition Variant".
Again tonight we used the exhibitions - not extensively but they seemed to provide another viable avenue to score .

Hope that helps Greg !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yeh thanks for that I'll check it out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.