Popular Tags: disability [+] add [+] [View All]
Chad Burnett
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 16 year old daughter has ADD. Not a severe case of it, but it's enough that when we play games together it becomes a bit of a problem. For instance, a bunch of us were playing Kill Dr. Lucky the other night and when it wasn't her turn she was constantly out of her seat, fidgeting when she was in her seat, flipping spite tokens back and forth across the table, making harumph noises, etc. It's a distraction to everyone trying to play, and I start thinking, "she's just not a gamer, she must be bored to tears." Yet, every time I break out a game and ask for players, she's one of the first to volunteer. I'd like to get a few games that move quickly enough that she doesn't have time to get distracted, but am not sure what might be good. Anyone have any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungry Hungry Hippos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jay
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something with simultaneous actions and no downtime could be ideal.

Have you tried Ubongo? It plays in about 20 minutes and all players are taking their turns simultaneously. Another one that follows a similar principle (as far as I know, having never played) is Factory Fun, where the selection of pieces is simultaneous, as is the placement process.

Other options would be auction games, as virtually everyone stays involved throughout the entirety of the proceedings. Two excellent options would be Ra or Modern Art. For auctions plus unit placement with only minimal downtime, you might also want to try Manila.

Good luck in your search. I'm sure your daughter will appreciate your efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need a game with "low downtime"; check out this geeklist:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/22012 (Lots of good ones)

Puerto Rico and San Juan both have low downtime...have to sit through some rules though. Trading games are good to because people are always doing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
mbmbmbmbmb
The first few faster-moving games that came to mind were Ticket to Ride or Vegas Showdown. I have to wonder if party games like Werewolf or Time's Up! wouldn't be better suited too if you have more people.

Ultimately though, it's up to the people playing (not saying you're group specifically) to keep faster-moving games fast. One person who is AP prone can make just about anyone ADD (I'm talking about me) if they drag their feet constantly or even just aren't paying attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I have ADD and games with little to no downtime suit me the best,

what was I talking about??...........

( bad joke)

Seriously tho I am ADHD and IMO a game that is constantly interactive, or a game that involves players in all aspects of playing would be your best bet, TTR might be a good choice, or perhaps a bidding game like Modern Art?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Burnett
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
degamer wrote:
Hungry Hungry Hippos?

Um. I did say she was 16, didn't I?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brerfrog wrote:
degamer wrote:
Hungry Hungry Hippos?

Um. I did say she was 16, didn't I?

4 young men showed up at our game night once and pulled this off the shelf. They played furiously for about 3 minutes. Then they put it away and thankfully moved onto something else.

Based on witnessing that scene, I'd say that it qualifies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Burnett
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Checkallday wrote:
You need a game with "low downtime"; check out this geeklist:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/22012 (Lots of good ones)

Yes, definitely some good ones here... I even have a few of these tucked away in the game closet somewhere... I'll be heading to OrcCon this weekend, so I think I'll have to check out some of these.

She does like party games (Balderdash is a favorite), but those usually aren't to my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Goldstein
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you did ask for suggestions...and didn't specifically say game suggestions.

I am a clinical psychologist, who not only has a very minor case of ADD, but also have had a lot of experience working with clients.

My suggestion....use the tougher games for her as an exercise in learning how to tolerate the down times. It sounds like she is interested and motivated already by the choices you have been making. She is just fidgety and in motion. Giver her hands something to do. Crocheting, and hook rugs worked for me as a kid. As well as doodling. Only way I could get through boring lectures in school was to doodle on one half of the notebook while taking notes on the other.

Just because she is distributing her attention around, doesn't mean she can't focus.

Talk to her about the fact that she is distracting the rest of the players. Teach her that learning the skill of NOT being a distraction is something she needs to learn for life. She will inevitably be working next to someone uptight and not appreciative of her behaviors.

I would challenge her ability to attend. Not play to her need to be constantly active and involved. Sure, as a 'treat.' I would try a game that asks her to delay her impulses, but requires her to pay attention to the other players actions. This way her brain has several frequencies to act on, listening and then strategizing her actions. Settlers of Catan comes to mind, but anything would do.

Use her gaming interest to find tools for her to attune her mind to the rhythms that other people flow on. They are a fantastic tools for that.

I think the fact that you are tuned into her needs gives her an incredible leg up in the world. Many parents just give into their own frustration at some point. Awesome that you are trying.

Some other quick tips:

1) Some music in the background might feed her brain during down time.

2) Work out a silent secret cue so you can get her back into the game without embarrassing her.

3) Set goals...."Stay in your seat for a whole rotation of your turn...then if you need to get up...do it quietly and be back in time to watch whats going on and take your next turn without delay."

4) Get her to jot down stats for the game, like when you keep game stats at a ball game...She can record plays and scores for a Session report on here..maybe the thing that links her in.

5) Try a million different things. Each will work for a while. My thought is that every challenge for her like this gives you a handle to help her figure out how to adapt to the world around her, which rarely will accommodate to her needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Groves
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How difficult is it to explain rules to her? I would imagine this is a problem that would preclude many games. I was thinking real time games would be worthwhile, but those that work in short bursts i.e. Space Dealer would be a bit much. "Wicked Witches Way" is a light game that could be appropriate as it calls on short periods of attention to the board while all other times it doesn't matter. I'd be interested to know how ADD affects a person in games like this; I'd imagine they are at the extremes of either exceptionally good or it completely wouldn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I got it!!

Pirate's Cove!

The play time is short and the rounds go very quickly. The only trouble would be combat if she's not involved. But, while others are fighting she can maybe skip ahead and collect the treasure from her island and perhaps think about what she wants to upgrade. I think this game might be perfect for her. Combat doesn't last long anyway.

Look it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarnubaWax wrote:
Something with simultaneous actions and no downtime could be ideal.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. 6 nimmt! sprang to mind, although I think it's now published under Slide 5 in the US.

Simple rules, very fast, simultaneous play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds just like my son who has ADHD. The only games he really enjoys are Halli Galli and Ligretto, because you are alwaysdoing something in those. It is very hard for him to wait for a turn in a game and it can ruin the game for everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandra Sherwood
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds a lot like my son. Ubongo, Ticket to Ride: Europe, Pirate's Cove, Cleopatra and the Society of Architects, Citadels, The Ark of the Covenant, Dream Factory and Colossal Arena have all worked well. What we have found is there can be downtime, but if he can spend his time figuring out what to do during his next turn, he is okay (like in Ticket or Cleopatra), so I look for games that either move quickly, play simultaneously, or need the players to spend downtime considering their next move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Skinner
United States
Seven Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a touch of ADD myself.

I think the issue here is that she's not being engaged by the game during downtime. She's not thinking about what she'll be doing next in "Kill Doctor Lucky".

Consider Shogun. Very little downtime, she'll be able to think about what she wants to do, the cube tower is fun, and it's nicely thematic. I often find myself pairing StarCraft: The Board Game when recommending Shogun as well, so think about that one too. It almost always seems like your turn has come to quickly there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slamwich, Ricochet, and Wigout are extremely fast card games. They tend to a younger audience (except Ricochet), but we enjoy them as a family. Wig-out, especially, is a quick game that'll be over in a minute or so (we play lots of iterations of the game).

Fluxx is another fast game with lots going on. Cold War is also quick but filled with activity (great game, too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
As others have suggested... games with high interaction and little to no downtime are the best bets.

Our son has ADHD and likes games such as Settlers, Heroscape, Nexus Ops, Bohnanza, Memoir'44, Battle Cry, LOTR: The Confrontation, Downfall of Pompeii, For Sale, Pitchcar and Acquire.

The games he likes usually have to have trading/bidding/money or something like miniatures to keep his mind occupied during other peoples turns. He's actually pretty good at staying relatively focused as long as the games move along at a fairly quick pace. He's tried a lot of different games and even those that are longer and slightly heavier in game play like Tikal have gone over well as long as play proceeds at a quick pace so he doesn't get frustrated and bored waiting for his turn to do something.

Actually, I think if more people made decisions a little quicker and played games like they had ADD... many games would be more enjoyable as there would be less downtime and more actual time spent doing something interesting rather than waiting interminably for your opponents to optimize and choose their best strategic options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is not ADD, but he can be very fidgety. It has worked for us to:

-have music going in the background

-give him a thing of silly putty that he can play with

-Allow him to get up and walk around, it makes the game go longer, but it helps me develop my patience.

Games I would suggest are:

Diamant

For Sale

Pirate's Cove

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.