Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wading through the German rules and finding some possible subtleties that seem significantly different from the rules available for download here.

The BGG downloaded rules state that should cards in the draw pile and discard pile run out then;

"Any players who hold more than 7 cards in their hand must
immediately discard all surplus cards. If any group consists
of four or more cards, the player must further discard the
two lowest cards of that group."

Group refers to displayed Faction Card Sets.

However my extremely limited grasp of German seems to translate the relevant section as:

"....players who hold more than 7 cards in hand, must discard all surplus cards in order to leave them with no more than 7. If players do not hold more than 7 cards then two cards must be discarded from each Faction Card Set on display (to leave a minimum of two cards per faction).

So if the cards do run out, does that mean that all players hand in cards in excess of 7, AND all displayed controlling Factions lose 2 cards? Or is the correct translation an 'either or' option where if you hold more then 7 cards you discard (and need lose no cards from your Factions), but if you don't hold more than 7 card in your hand, your displayed Factions must lose 2 cards?

Can someone who understands the German rules help me out?

(Thanks in advance Mik!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time for self help.

It's no more than 7 cards to a hand & all displayed Faction Card Sets lose 2 cards also. Ouch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During a Caesura must all players discard their hands down to 7 (owner's choice).

In addition must all Factions lose the two cards with the lowest value ('0' being lowest)

- with the caveat that a Faction must at least contain two cards, so a Faction of '3 cards' will lose only one card, and a Faction of '2 cards' will lose none.

The rule MAY sound harsh, but I haven't seen it in use yet. Without the rule, one might expect to see people hoarding cards in order to ensure permanent control over some factions. But fear of wasting a lot of cards when the deck runs low prevents this - and besides are is it better to control each Faction once or twice than to control the same faction over and over again. And you cannot afford to waste turns not taking Factions as the game is usually over pretty quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone who has played the game actually seen the situation arise where this rule would come into effect? I would think that, with the strong incentives for taking control of factions, players (even in a 5-player game) are playing enough cards each turn to avoid this situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes its happened to me once in a 5 player game. The problem arises when players have factions comprising 5-6+ cards each and rival players are stock piling in order to break these factions. It's an essential rule to stop the game grinding to a halt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is usually over before anyone have had time to accumulate a large hand, so it seems like a dangerous path to pursue...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I can't see how a card collecting/hoarding strategy can ever pay off given the rather substantial bonuses and the relative ease of gaining control of factions, particularly gaining control in the first couple of turns. Most of the games I have played tend to be over in four turns and sometimes in three -- not playing with the obligatory tribune victory conditions which I feel unbalance the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Weber wrote:
not playing with the obligatory tribune victory conditions which I feel unbalance the game.

I think you answer the question yourself, if you don't play an obligatory Tribune then it isn't likely to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.