Peter Donnelly
Canada
Comox Valley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I had to share this:

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/issuecartoons/2008/02/11/cart...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Aquino
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Actually, isn't using light cavalry against elephants a decent strategy?

They get the same amount of dice as you (with a slight advantage with the bonus cross swords roll) and you have an extra unit to loose.

Still my only real complaint against such a great game.. the elephants just kinda suck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like BattleLore meets Commands and Colors Ancients.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah they do suck against light troops, but aren't they suppose to? The key with elephants is trying to match them up against juicy heavy infantry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Donnelly
Canada
Comox Valley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
PMantix84 wrote:
Actually, isn't using light cavalry against elephants a decent strategy?

I wasn't intending to start a serious discussion about LC (or ostriches) against elephants, but:

1. Elephants hit (and reroll) with swords; LC don't.
2. Elephants ignore one symbol hit and one flag from cavalry.
3. Cavalry have to retreat extra far.

So unless you have a leader present, LC are going to have an effect only if you roll double reds or double flags. They then stand a good chance of being hurt badly on battle back.

On the other hand, if you're just talking about blocking the elephants with LC, and evading if attacked, that's not so bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think elephants are one of the most remarkably successful creations in CCA.

Yes, sometimes they suck, especially when they border a lot of your men and a light unit or archer pops a flag on one.

But when they get put in the right place and get hot with the dice, I've seen them tear an enemy line to pieces. Last game we played (Zama), one of the Carthaginian elephants got "hot" and hit 2 fresh Roman infantry units. Thanks to the sword rerolls (which always seemed to get at least one more hit and one time re-rolled swords twice more), it killed one unit on the attack and a second unit on the momentum advance. When attacked, it survived, trampled some, and took out 3 more blocks on a battle back and finished that unit on its turn. And the other elephant was nearly as successful.

They are a lame, weak burden on the owning side...until they do their thing. What I haven't managed yet is to play a scenario with E's on both sides...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.