Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
According to someone cited at the Museum where it was displayed, then this was an intentional and malicious act of vandalism. I just hope that an appropriate "course of action" takes place to rectify the situation.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/gilbert/articles/0214gr-d...

I've seen a few of these "Dioramas" featured in model-making magazines, and I was greatly impressed with what they'd been able to accomplish, no matter how "inaccurate" they may have seemed. There was NO 'call' for what had transpired with this one in particular.
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After having created a few of these myself (though obviously not to that extent) I really feel their pain. Horrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo van der Horst
Netherlands
Capelle aan den IJssel
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree, it's horrifying to have work destroyed like that. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Jeff Hunt is a Dick.

Here is his picture

His book on Amazon which people are starting to *pan* because of his actions.

The gist of the poor ratings: the diorama was based on his book - if the diorama was so bad then his book sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an arrogant and despicable thing thing to do. Someone who would destroy something that took so much effort to create should be removed from any position of authority with a museum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Here's some more of what I dug up about the matter:

"Palmetto Ranch Diorama Forum"
pretty pathetic there man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is disgusting. What kind of person smashes the efforts of so many people?

I am so impressed at what those kids accomplished and the work they put into it. Then to have it smashed up because of one person??

I hope something is done about this. I'm just outraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an irritating little stepbrother who takes great joy in destroying sandcastles and tossing dice at my carefully organized bits. Urge to kill: rising!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
What a waste. Someone should dismantle this guy's nuts the way he dismantled that diorama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Did they give the diorama to the museum? As in, change of ownership?

If so, they have no right to it. Yeah, it may suck to see your work of art discarded, but they relinquished all rights to it when they donated it to the museum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:

If so, they have no right to it. Yeah, it may suck to see your work of art discarded, but they relinquished all rights to it when they donated it to the museum.

Read the freaking article. Nobody is demanding any rights. They are ASKING (and more politely that I would) that the diorama is preserved or given back to them. I don't see what your beef is with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HulkHunt Smash!

Jeff Hunt also doesn't like the wall color of the museum, so he has purchased some gasoline and matches...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, I'm still crying over the loss of the South Koreans' gate...when I get over that perhaps I'll have time for this tragedy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like one douche bag who museum days are numbered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teague Webb
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
Jeff Hunt is a Dick.

His book on Amazon which people are starting to *pan* because of his actions.

The gist of the poor ratings: the diorama was based on his book - if the diorama was so bad then his book sucks.

Wait, Peter Jackson's movies were based on the Lord of the Rings books. So, the books suck, then?

I would have just sent it back, or brought the kids in to explain what I thought was incorrect.

I agree with the concept of the disposition of items donated/sold. If you don't want me to do with it as I please, don't give it to me. Of course, I've not seen anything stating whether this was a loan or a donation. If it's a loan, they should get damages awarded. If it was a donation, they may be legally out of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:

Jon - it's not a question of legal rights, it's a question of right and wrong. This guy Hunt may have been within his legal rights to do what he did - that doesn't make it RIGHT, and clearly, it wasn't RIGHT. Hopefully, the guy will lose his position over this matter, unless he finds a way to make it up to these people in a manner that THEY find acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
I'm sorry, I'm still crying over the loss of the South Koreans' gate...when I get over that perhaps I'll have time for this tragedy.

Either you can't see the difference and are a moron or you see the difference but think it's less important than the point you need to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would make a case that a 'donation to a museum' (which is accepted) constitutes an unspoken agreement that the museum will at least preserve the objects donated.

Otherwise, it's not really a museum. It's a garbage dump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:

Let me give you an idea how stupid I am: If I were the director of that museum and I felt there were innacuracies in the diorama, I would have called the teacher and asked to meet him and his students to discuss any possible innacuracies and work with them to make it more accurate. But, I don't have a Master's Degree like Mr Hunt, so what the hell do I know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
AnakinOU wrote:

Let me give you an idea how stupid I am: If I were the director of that museum and I felt there were innacuracies in the diorama, I would have called the teacher and asked to meet him and his students to discuss any possible innacuracies and work with them to make it more accurate. But, I don't have a Master's Degree like Mr Hunt, so what the hell do I know?

Yeah Tim, you are really stupid!

Obviously, you are exactly correct - a much more constructive and proactive approach, which even stupid people like you and me can think up, would have been to contact the students who built the diorama and ask them to participate in a new project to upgrade the diorama based on even more recent scholarship. But of course, like you, I am incredibly stupid, and although I do have a Masters degree, it's only a dopey MBA, which many people would argue actually makes me even stupider, so what the heck do we know? Most likely, a smart person, like this Masters of History guy, would know that this approach would have never worked!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, this Hunt guy is probably the type who says the youth of today are a bunch of losers who waste their life on video games.

I just can't get over these kids putting their hearts and time into a project like this and having this happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Ok, I'm going to have to speak up here.

First of all, as some of you may (or might not know) I work in Austin, Texas,and a member of the Lone Star Historical Miniatures Association. The museum in question is the Texas Museum of Military History, at Camp Mabry, here in Austin, with which we have have had a long relationship with. I know PERSONALLY the people involved in this 'tempest in a teapot', and while I can't tell you everything, I'll tell you what I can. Bear in mind, I am NOT an LSHM officer, and this is NOT in any way, shape, or form to be viewed as anything but my opinion on this.

The exhibit is not being 'destroyed'. Jeff Hunt is having the figures removed to be cleaned up and the diorama restored. The intent is to make it more historical. What was destroyed was the backdrop of the diorama, and not the figures.

More to the point, this story was leaked by Ted Aanenson- a volunteer who had serious issues with the new change in Museum Administration when it changed late last year. Mr. Aanenson is no longer allowed on the base area. I'm not at liberty to say why.

Basically, what you are seeing here is the press being used by a disgruntled member of the museum staff to make a mountain out of molehill. While I am sympathetic to the High School students, the Mabry museum is a small but very dedicated and proud member of the museum community. Their work will be maintained, but brought up to a higher standard of historical quality.

I'm going to be talking with some friends of mine later today. If I learn any more details, I will be more than happy to share them. Otherwise, I would kindly ask the other forum members to cease their 'out of bounds' attacks on Jeff Hunt. Jeff is a fine historian, a gentleman, family, and a great guy.

William Boykin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Ok, I'm going to have to speak up here.

First of all, as some of you may (or might not know) I work in Austin, Texas,and a member of the Lone Star Historical Miniatures Association. The museum in question is the Texas Museum of Military History, at Camp Mabry, here in Austin, with which we have have had a long relationship with. I know PERSONALLY the people involved in this 'tempest in a teapot', and while I can't tell you everything, I'll tell you what I can. Bear in mind, I am NOT an LSHM officer, and this is NOT in any way, shape, or form to be viewed as anything but my opinion on this.

The exhibit is not being 'destroyed'. Jeff Hunt is having the figures removed to be cleaned up and the diorama restored. The intent is to make it more historical. What was destroyed was the backdrop of the diorama, and not the figures.

More to the point, this story was leaked by Ted Aanenson- a volunteer who had serious issues with the new change in Museum Administration when it changed late last year. Mr. Aanenson is no longer allowed on the base area. I'm not at liberty to say why.

Basically, what you are seeing here is the press being used by a disgruntled member of the museum staff to make a mountain out of molehill. While I am sympathetic to the High School students, the Mabry museum is a small but very dedicated and proud member of the museum community. Their work will be maintained, but brought up to a higher standard of historical quality.

I'm going to be talking with some friends of mine later today. If I learn any more details, I will be more than happy to share them. Otherwise, I would kindly ask the other forum members to cease their 'out of bounds' attacks on Jeff Hunt. Jeff is a fine historian, a gentleman, family, and a great guy.

William Boykin

This is well and good, but I still stand by my original opinion. With the errors in the diorama, why didn't he call the teacher and get together with the students and discuss the errors. The dialogue between the students and the curator would have been invaluable to them in future projects and for learning in general. Mr Hunt is undoubtedly a nice guy and a fine historian, but I still feel he handled it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I haven't actually visibly SEEN just what the "damages" consisted with, while from what was DESCRIBED for that, then it certainly didn't ascribe to what is being said more recently about the matter. It was even stated that some photographic evidence would be provided regarding such, and perhaps that ought to be the 'denominator' for these proceedings. The photos shouldn't LIE, unless those have been "tampered" with, in order to assuage someone's "responsibility", or so I would believe. How's about showing just what THIS involves then? The utter LACK of that just bespeaks the contempt of which many are going to issue forthwith, and rightfully so!
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Oh, and I just 'found' some photo for this now, to wit:

I don't KNOW what others will thusly 'think', but it sure don't L@@K good from where I'm sitting!
shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.