Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Who hasn't gotten their secret santa present yet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw the other thread with the finger and wondered, just how many of us haven't gotten our presents yet. I know I haven't as of today, and frankly I don't have much confidence of getting it anymore...

I'll still probably participate next year though, unless I can't for some reason. I'd like to think I'm in a very small minority...

-Jorge
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
e h
United States
fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dude that seriously blows.

if i was not so darn broke id send you something.

you know what, whats your addy, i may have something i can send your way, it wont be much as shipping from the usa may bark and bite like a mofo, but hopefully it will help ease the sting of feeling jipped.

pm me the info if interested.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in two exchanges--international and NZ/AU. One of my Santas--maybe both--are slackers. I say maybe because I have received something, but it arrived with the suggestion that it came from a Kwanzaa-loving 'Geek who, while not my assigned santa, sent me cool stuff anyway. It's still a litle confusing, given the one-way nature of the santa communication. Anyway, to that person I say a GIANT THANK YOU for helping me keep the karmic faith.

To the santa(s) who slacked: my nature is to say 'innocent until proven guilty.' But it's February, and I've heard not a peep from you. I suspect that if you were a kind person, and you had a really good reason for your inability to send a gift my way, you'd send me a note.
No contact, no gift: no love. to you, grinchy.

To Tom and Tami: thank you SO much for doing what you did. It is people like you and my Kwanzaa Santa mentioned above who make BGG such a great place. Count me in for next year's secret santas--both.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess at some stage we must name names. Give all errant Secret Santas the chance to explain, clarify, beg forgiveness etc., but if nothing forthcoming they need to be banned from next year's SS (and maybe BGG?).

What would be the right time to apply the thumbscrews? 1st April seems strangely appropriate.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had packages take 3 months to arrive overseas. I wouldn't doubt that whoever was unfortunate enough to get a recipient in spain also sent the package as cheaply/slowly as possible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I have had packages take 3 months to arrive overseas. I wouldn't doubt that whoever was unfortunate enough to get a recipient in spain also sent the package as cheaply/slowly as possible.


I hear that geekmail works in Spain now...
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mikehibbert wrote:
dcorban wrote:
I have had packages take 3 months to arrive overseas. I wouldn't doubt that whoever was unfortunate enough to get a recipient in spain also sent the package as cheaply/slowly as possible.


I hear that geekmail works in Spain now...


As does ordering through a Spanish online outfit--package was delivered within 24 hours.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice if there was a more automated way to log that a gifter has sent a gift and a giftee has received one (away from a Geeklist). I guess it would be considered "tacky" to track something like that, but gifters that refuse their Geek-duty should be held accountable and not be allowed to participate in future Secret Santa events. I hope that many of these issues are due to mailing problems.

It makes me blue that fellow Geeks haven't been able to share in what I consider as a warm-spirited BGG tradition.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never received a Secret Santa Present. This is because I don't sign up for them, fearful that I might not get anything.

And see! I didn't get anything! I was right!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig J
United States
East Hampton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent Paul... I'm glad to see you didn't receive the present I never sent you...


Like Paul, I too didn't participate in this event... but I'm probably going to particpate in it next year...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
I guess at some stage we must name names. Give all errant Secret Santas the chance to explain, clarify, beg forgiveness etc., but if nothing forthcoming they need to be banned from next year's SS (and maybe BGG?).

What would be the right time to apply the thumbscrews? 1st April seems strangely appropriate.


I believe Tom and Aldie have an arrangement worked out for this situation. If you have not received your gift by now, you are supposed to let Tom know. They then will ask one of the "I would like to give, but not receive" people to send you a gift. And then, I assume, they will ask your original Secret Santa not to participate next year.

There's really no need for a public hanging, especially if there were extenuating circumstances. If you haven't received, and you haven't contacted Tom Vasel yet...geekmail him: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/TomVasel
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Point noted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
Ahiksking wrote:
I guess at some stage we must name names. Give all errant Secret Santas the chance to explain, clarify, beg forgiveness etc., but if nothing forthcoming they need to be banned from next year's SS (and maybe BGG?).

What would be the right time to apply the thumbscrews? 1st April seems strangely appropriate.


I believe Tom and Aldie have an arrangement worked out for this situation. If you have not received your gift by now, you are supposed to let Tom know. They then will ask one of the "I would like to give, but not receive" people to send you a gift. And then, I assume, they will ask your original Secret Santa not to participate next year.

There's really no need for a public hanging, especially if there were extenuating circumstances. If you haven't received, and you haven't contacted Tom Vasel yet...geekmail him: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/TomVasel


What about if you're still waiting for your Secret Santa from last year?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
What about if you're still waiting for your Secret Santa from last year?


Crucify him!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Rothwell
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
There's really no need for a public hanging


No, a public hanging would be fun all round.

Also, could someone design a nice "Banned from Secret Santa" microbadge and then we can force them to wear it, like The Scarlet Letter.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maka wrote:
Just saw the other thread with the finger and wondered, just how many of us haven't gotten our presents yet. I know I haven't as of today, and frankly I don't have much confidence of getting it anymore...

I'll still probably participate next year though, unless I can't for some reason. I'd like to think I'm in a very small minority...

-Jorge


I seriously aim to be the last geek to receive his SS gift. Stood up twice (my contributions have not been that *bad* last year. And my rabid rants have been about the necessity of childrens' game reviews... I hope Santa somehow did not fail to see the irony in that), but now last week I was contacted by a most Secret Santa who apologised for the previous ones fleeing to the Caribbean with my games (the contact was good but I had already designed a "Screwed by Secret Santa" badge.

My wife tells me this wait is what I get for having participated in a Santa Rampage a couple of years ago...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cole
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nsolitander wrote:
I seriously aim to be the last geek to receive his SS gift.


Not if I have anything to say about it... I have the worst luck, so this is one game I can finally win!!

Ya, I'm pretty sure I can stop watching for Canada Post trucks. It's been over 2 1/2 months since Christmas. I really enjoyed participating in the Secret Santa... it was fun shopping around for items and putting together a gift package, and I know that the package I sent was greatly appreciated. That alone is enough reason to participate next year.

The biggest problem with not receiving a gift was that I normally give my family and girlfriend my "games wanted" list before Christmas. However, I didn't want them to buy me something and then watch me receive the exact same thing from my SS. So I held off on giving them the list, and Christmas came and went. I got money from my family... which I used to go buy the games on my list, so I guess I can't complain too much.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you tell Tom? I did, and he was all over it. This is his baby, and he wants it to run smoothly for all involved.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cole
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
Did you tell Tom? I did, and he was all over it. This is his baby, and he wants it to run smoothly for all involved.


Ya, I did send a geekmail about 2 months ago... I guess it's not a big concern to me anymore. Spring is here and I'm just happy to be saying goodbye to the snow.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Copple
United States
Northfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I didnt get mine. shake

Tom and I corresponded about it but I dont think anything came of it. Sometimes sh!t happens.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cole
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
moldndecay wrote:
I didnt get mine. shake

Tom and I corresponded about it but I dont think anything came of it. Sometimes sh!t happens.


Agreed. I'm not sure how someone can feel right about stealing (cause that's basically what it is), let alone stealing from an initiative that is predicated on selflessness. I just hope those who didn't hold up their end are excluded from future exchanges.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.