United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
(from a discussion in this Geeklist)

El Grande and China are area majority games. Bison is an area control game.

At least, that's the way I previously understood it. I had spent some time researching this before modifying the BGG Glossary of terms. Now I find that the glossary has since been modified to eliminate the term "area majority", and area control now means area majority!

My prior understanding was that area control indicated that only one player's chits/tokens could occupy a delineated area on the board, while an area majority game allows all players to battle for dominance in every area.

There were also items on that list that involved controlling large areas of a finite board, such as Go, TAMSK, and Fjords. How would you define games like this, other than "abstract strategy"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there used to be a distinction, but maybe it didn't stick? I know that at least here in Brazil we have never used the equivalent to "area majority", using "area control" ("controle de área", in Portuguese) for both. I'm happy if the distinction is gone. And I think using "area control" for games like Go has never been correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AB
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure for the games you stated but I would say that a game such as Reef Encounter is a good example of area control as opposed to area majority FWIW.

AB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
When I think of area influence games, I think of Samurai (R.K.).

I do think that it's an important distinction between games whether two or more players can occupy the same area, since it speaks volumes about the gameplay. Area majority games tend to be more tactical, while area control appears to be more strategic.

Re: Reef Encounter. That's a tough one. The aspect of the game where you are occupying or taking over spaces seems more like abstract strategy, such as in Othello, YINSH, ZERTZ, etc. There aren't "areas" delineated on the board, per se. Then again, that's my definition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.