Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start by saying that besides playing a few rounds of cards with friends, or playing blackjack in Vegas, I was never a fan of card games unless they really were very good.

Games like Magic and the like were always a little too costly and complex for my liking, and weren't good for a quick casual game amongst a few friends.

I grew up with some card based games as a child like X-Men Deck the Mutants Card Game but as I grew older my interest in casual card games diminished, as I felt the games would either be too simple or too complex.

Well, from all the hub-bub floating around BGG about No Thanks! I was curious, at best. I ended up receiving it in a trade, and tried it out for the first time last night.

Its as everyone here has stated. An extremely simple idea for a card game that can be learned in 30 seconds and in a breath or two at most! I am a believer, and No Thanks! is a real gem!

The game needs at least 3 players, and can take up to 5. The box says games are around 20 minutes, though none of ours took that long.

Components: No thanks comes with 33 cards (numbered 3-35) and a little baggy of red chips. The cards are well made, rounded at the corners, and easy to read. The chips are smooth and nice to handle, though not the best quality, but surely it does the trick. The box is small but fits the chips and cards and instructions (which are simple and well written) nicely, and the box itself is sturdy, made from that cool-finished cardboard that you see on well-produced Eurogames.

Gameplay: The point of the game is to get the least amount of points. You can do this by getting low point cards, avoiding cards by paying a chip (players start with 11) or getting runs (two or more cards in a row i.e. 5,6,7,8.)

After the cards are shuffled, you place them in a stack face down, minus 9 random cards that have been removed and returned to the box. (this keeps players from being able to predict which cards will come up) A random player starts by flipping a card over. If he wants it, he takes it and flips the next one over. If he doesn't want it, he can pay a chip to the pot and play passes clockwise. The next player can either take the card and the chip in the pot, or pay a chip of his own to pass the card. This goes around until someone takes the cards. Sometimes people will pass on purpose for no other reason than to get more chips in the pot, and then take the card and a bunch of chips. All cards once flipped are public knowledge. No hands to hold (cards owned by players are laid out face up in front of them) no secrets...except for the number of chips players have.

When the draw deck is exhausted, the game is over and players add up the value of their cards, minus 1 for every chip they still have(if any). Single cards are worth their face value. A run is worth the lowest card in the set. So if someone draws a 24..and then later in the game gets the 23, 22 and 21, all four of those cards are only worth 21. If he just had the 24, it'd be 24 points.

Person with the lowest points wins! Our games never took more than 10 minutes. We played 3 or 4 games under 30 minutes.

Conclusion This is really a great game. Easy to teach and learn, easy to get gamers and non gamers to play, no "embarrassing" or goofy theme to turn people off of it. Just a simple, effective fun little card game that is great to play in front of the tv, over dessert or on a trip.

Its games like No Thanks! that have me eying card games once again!

My favorite thing about No Thanks! is that even though it is very simple, there are a lot of different strategies to take. Solid!

Look for an update with a link to my geeklist about card games of this type and similar ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Rothwell
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this for the first time last week at a friends house and within moments of hearing the rules I knew I would like it.

I like it even more now I've worked out I can make my own copy with some of the cards from 6 nimmt!and the coins from For Sale.

I am just about to teach it here at home, hope they like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.