Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Caylus» Forums » Rules

Subject: Played My First "Offline" Game, And I Have A Few Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing about 3-4 games of Caylus on BSW, I played my first two offline games tonight. I was able to keep everything running smoothly, but have a few questions.

1. When it comes to getting favors from building the castle, when is this calculated? Is it when scoring for that castle section occurs, or is it the first time someone gets the goal (such as 2 houses in the first section). Can multiple players win the favor rewards?


2. When you are building something through use of the tiles, do you have to pay the fee (such as Food + Wood to build an orange building) and then pay the building cost, or do you just pay the building cost as it appears on the tile?

3. What use is the gate? We were playing a 2-player game and no one ever saw any reason to use it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Re: Played My First
1. When building the castle, favors are determined after all players have had a chance to build for that round. Only 1 player receives the favor per round: the player being the person who built the most houses with ties going to whoever built first this round.

2. You just pay the cost of the cubes located int he upper left hand corner. This is the only thing they are used for which is why most people place the house on top of this corner once it is built.

3. It is less useful in a 2-player game, I think. the point of it is that you are "hiring" a worker now for the (cheaper) rate. Once the Gate is activated, then the worker is "reassigned" to a different location. This typically allows you to either place a worker in a spot that would have been more expensive (due to players dropping out during the round) or let you see the field of play before committing.

Like I said, this is less valuable in a 2-player game because the cost to place workers later in the round isn't as high as it could be in a 5-player game and you only have to account for one other player placing workers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Played My First
roboman wrote:
3. What use is the gate? We were playing a 2-player game and no one ever saw any reason to use it.


There is a pretty good discussion of good uses for the gate somewhere in the BGG entry for this game. Under strategy, I think, or perhaps general. (I'm sure a more enterprising and less lazy user would provide the link, but, and I love this expression, I can't be arsed.)

Anyhoo, hunt around. The gate is somewhat subtle, but can be put to good effect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Played My First
ColtsFan76 wrote:
1. When building the castle, favors are determined after all players have had a chance to build for that round. Only 1 player receives the favor per round: the player being the person who built the most houses with ties going to whoever built first this round.


I think the first question was not regarding the favor for 'best builder' that turn, but about the favors (or penalty points) you get for the amount of houses you have built in a section. This is determined only when that section is scored (i.e. the section is full or the seneschal passes the relevant square on the board). And yes, it is very possible that multiple players get the same amount of favors. In that case they take their favors in current player order.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Game Knight wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
1. When building the castle, favors are determined after all players have had a chance to build for that round. Only 1 player receives the favor per round: the player being the person who built the most houses with ties going to whoever built first this round.


I think the first question was not regarding the favor for 'best builder' that turn, but about the favors (or penalty points) you get for the amount of houses you have built in a section. This is determined only when that section is scored (i.e. the section is full or the seneschal passes the relevant square on the board). And yes, it is very possible that multiple players get the same amount of favors. In that case they take their favors in current player order.

He asked about favor while you are commenting on prestige points. Those are two separate things.

From the rules:
If a player has placed a worker in the castle but will not or cannot
give a batch (for instance, if they do not have enough different
cubes), they lose 2 prestige points (it is not possible to
go below 0 point, though).


The players gain prestige points whenever they help build the
castle:
● for each batch they provide to build the Dungeon, the player
gains 5 prestige points,
● for each batch they provide to build the Walls, the player
gains 4 prestige points,
● for each batch they provide to build the Towers, the player
gains 3 prestige points.


Finally, you determine which player has provided the most
batches during this turn (in other words, which player has
placed the most houses). This player immediately gains 1 royal
favor (see below). If several players are tied, the one among
them who arrived first in the castle gains the favor.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I usually see the gate used to "reserve" the right to build the castle last. If you have the most cubes, you force your opponents to either spend all their cubes, at which point you will outbuild them, or they just contribute one to not lose points, then you can take the favor with just two houses. If you're up against someone with more cubes, it works to your advantage in the opposite way
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Game Knight wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
1. When building the castle, favors are determined after all players have had a chance to build for that round. Only 1 player receives the favor per round: the player being the person who built the most houses with ties going to whoever built first this round.


I think the first question was not regarding the favor for 'best builder' that turn, but about the favors (or penalty points) you get for the amount of houses you have built in a section. This is determined only when that section is scored (i.e. the section is full or the seneschal passes the relevant square on the board). And yes, it is very possible that multiple players get the same amount of favors. In that case they take their favors in current player order.

He asked about favor while you are commenting on prestige points. Those are two separate things.

From the rules:
If a player has placed a worker in the castle but will not or cannot
give a batch (for instance, if they do not have enough different
cubes), they lose 2 prestige points (it is not possible to
go below 0 point, though).


The players gain prestige points whenever they help build the
castle:
● for each batch they provide to build the Dungeon, the player
gains 5 prestige points,
● for each batch they provide to build the Walls, the player
gains 4 prestige points,
● for each batch they provide to build the Towers, the player
gains 3 prestige points.


Finally, you determine which player has provided the most
batches during this turn (in other words, which player has
placed the most houses). This player immediately gains 1 royal
favor (see below). If several players are tied, the one among
them who arrived first in the castle gains the favor.


So then what about the scoring tables for favors in each section. For example, in the first section of the castle I think it says you get 1 Royal Favor if you build 2 houses. Does this mean that every time you build 2 houses in this section you get a favor?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I guess I was confused on what you were asking.

You asked about building in the castle first which is what threw me off and I got hung up on. Each round of building - Phase 7 each turn - grants one favor to only one player.

When you hit the scoring spaces on the track - or a section is completed - then you score the section and receive additional favors. The royal favors you receive here are given to any and all players that meet the condition(s). So you only get this benefit one time only - when the section is scored. It is not tied directly into the act of building (unless the you build the last building of the section to trigger it) but is tied into the total number of buildings you built in that section.

My apologies to Ugur for not listening to him! And to rory for making this more difficult than it should have been.

EDIT:
And to your example. If you built 4 house in the Dungeon, you only receive 1 Royal Favor. You do not receive 1 favor for each pair of house built. The condition is 2+ houses = 1 Royal favor.

You can see the chart of what each section score s little more clearly on what would be page 5 of the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.