Subject: Solitaire play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
This is a remarkably fun and interesting game to play solo. Just play the heroic game with four roles. Keep all the players' hands face up and play the game out as best you can. It's quite hard to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Good to know. I'm surprised there's no mention of solo play in the rules.

And someone mentioned that the 2-player game (per the rules) was weak but it seems entirely reasonable to play the 4-player game with 2 players taking 2 roles each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game doesn't really need extra solo rules as you're playing against the board and the game system anyway. I played two solo games while waiting for my kids to come and play with me. I lost both; it was a lot of fun but also very hard as the outbreaks can come fast and furious towards the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DSpangler wrote:
This game doesn't really need extra solo rules as you're playing against the board and the game system anyway.

I didn't say anything about extra rules. Typically if a game can be played solo there will be a mention of that fact in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
Typically if a game can be played solo there will be a mention of that fact in the rules.

RIGHT! I just checked the BGG listing for the game and it states 2 - 4 players. It is INDEED good to know that solo play is a viable option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Keller
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules do mention you may choose to play with cards open. If that's the case, given the fact that this is a coop game, it seemed obvious to me that you could easily play a solo game using 2 pawns. I tested it out so that I could teach my wife, and it played very well. I'd prefer using 2 pawns vs. 4 pawns just because there are fewer hands to track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still a game with 2, 3 or 4 players, only you are all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I taught the game to my wife, until she understood the game, I was basically playing a solitaire game. However, she seemed to pick the game up quickly, and within a few turns, she was playing solitaire! Oh how the tide turned.

I really think this is a fun solitaire game as long as the person uses a few researchers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
And someone mentioned that the 2-player game (per the rules) was weak

Really? What was the reason?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
UhhhClem wrote:
It's quite hard to win.

That sounds like a Euphemism for "#*$#$ lost again." I'm 0-6, and only once or twice did I ever think "He, I might actually win this."

I think I need a step between Normal and Heroic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:

And someone mentioned that the 2-player game (per the rules) was weak but it seems entirely reasonable to play the 4-player game with 2 players taking 2 roles each.

Perhaps the reason they don't list the game as a solitaire game for 1 player is because it's really a solitaire game for any number of players.

This is a problem that plagues all the cooperative games on the market. To maximize the chances of winning it really is best to just follow 1 course of action. In theory, the group will discuss and come to consensus on the "best" course of action, but anyone can compose a reasonable course of action. These games often boil down to the 'smartest' or 'loudest' or 'most stubborn' player outlining a course of action they propose is best... i.e. "you do this, then you do that, then I'll do this, and we'll cure yellow!"

- Seth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
EvilTimmy wrote:

Perhaps the reason they don't list the game as a solitaire game for 1 player is because it's really a solitaire game for any number of players.

This is a problem that plagues all the cooperative games on the market. To maximize the chances of winning it really is best to just follow 1 course of action. In theory, the group will discuss and come to consensus on the "best" course of action, but anyone can compose a reasonable course of action. These games often boil down to the 'smartest' or 'loudest' or 'most stubborn' player outlining a course of action they propose is best... i.e. "you do this, then you do that, then I'll do this, and we'll cure yellow!"

I played this for the first time on Saturday and felt that the game avoided this common co-op problem. The asymmetric roles, number of tasks that needed accomplishing, and influence of the cards prevented there being a single best course of action apparent at any given time. It seemed like there were always a number of viable possibilities to choose from and we were always talking through them from our own perspectives and often ended up with, "Well, what do we want to do?" even after the discussion.

I am really looking forward to playing it again, both in a group and solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
UhhhClem wrote:
It's quite hard to win.

That sounds like a Euphemism for "#*$#$ lost again." I'm 0-6, and only once or twice did I ever think "He, I might actually win this."

I think I need a step between Normal and Heroic...

Have you tried 5 decks with only 4 epidemics? At least you'll have a period of peace before another epidemic breaks out. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McCarty
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly because we are still new to the game, or because the game has a degree of unpredictability, we have not encountered a game where one person dominated the game. We all made mistakes equally... cool

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Another User
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ckvt wrote:
The rules do mention you may choose to play with cards open. If that's the case, given the fact that this is a coop game, it seemed obvious to me that you could easily play a solo game using 2 pawns. I tested it out so that I could teach my wife, and it played very well. I'd prefer using 2 pawns vs. 4 pawns just because there are fewer hands to track.

When I play solo with multiple roles, I use the unused pawn to mark which role is currently being played. It really helps, as I get so into the game that I can't remember who is currently "on deck". Now, if I could only remember to move the pawn when the current role's turn is over...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NICK KOUKOS
Greece
HERAKLION ,CRETE
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this once, in order to see the flow of the game and explain later to other co-players, using 4 roles with the cards face-down. I only managed to find 1 cure... It's really hard to save the world... especially when the second card drawn is an epidemic. With 4 players, even the standard game is very hard, due to the distribution of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
These games often boil down to the 'smartest' or 'loudest' or 'most stubborn' player outlining a course of action they propose is best... i.e. "you do this, then you do that, then I'll do this, and we'll cure yellow!"

Sounds like you need to find a good group to play with. I've never had a problem with this game at my game tables-- everyone is just focused on having fun.

This vaguely reminds me of problems I had with Dixit, where one friend who just-didn't-get-it decided he would maximize his score by saying a completely obscure word, then playing a random card from his hand. Chances were with him that about 1 person would pick his card, and that was what he wanted. On some level, merely optimizing win rates isn't the point.

Anyway, on-topic- I agree it should be listed as 1 player. It didn't even occur to me to do so until I read this thread; now I look forward to having a night alone to play with my diseases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McJarvis wrote:
Anyway, on-topic- I agree it should be listed as 1 player. It didn't even occur to me to do so until I read this thread; now I look forward to having a night alone to play with my diseases.

Careful! You'll go blind...!whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.