Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm considering this game, and I was wondering if it is also playable solo? If so, is it any good as a solo game?

I've also looked at Last Night On Earth, but the price is simply more than I want to pay right now for a zombie game... My local game store has Zombies!!! (I believe it's the 2nd edition) for almost half the price of Last Night.....

Thanks for all input
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think many gamers will agree with me on this, when it comes to zombie games, you get what you pay for.

Zombies is good, in my opinion Last Night on Earth is better. To answer your first question, is it playable solo? Not really, Alot of the fun comes from using the cards on your opponents (especially the cards from the 3.5 expansion) and while you could play every card that is drawn to hamper yourself, or even come up with a system to laydown the tiles until the helicopter pad shows up, I don't feel the game becomes a game at that point, but an exercise at dice rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
yer,

zombies solo would be pure dice rolling... this game shines with a bunch of friends and a few drinks...

"here take that!"

"back at ya', mate"

"oh, NASTY!"

etc...

personally i really like this game - but its the people you play it with who make it [or break it...]

as for LNoE. well, im in the minority here but i find that pretty dull... too fiddly and lacking in the 'fun' factor, but not deep enough to make it interesting as a strategy game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. After a lot of reading, I've just about decided to go with Last Night On Earth. However, I need to know how it plays solo as well...for now, a lot of my boardgaming is solo, until I can get my friends all together for another gaming session.

So, how is LNOE for solo play?

Thanks,
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I'm beginning to have doubts about both games....

So, it there a good Zombie game that plays well solo?

jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just printed it out and have not played it yet, but Dawn of the Dead is supposed to be good for solo play. See the links section of that page. I just added a link to a page with updated graphics for the game, so it might not be there yet.

Also, if you don't mind putting in some work, you can have some solitaire fun with When Darkness Comes. The rulebook is not well written, but a "Combined Rules" summary is available that helps a lot. The random tokens do a great job of making each game different. You just need to decide ahead of time on what sort scenario you want it to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always try Arkham Horror. It's a great solo game.

Not really a zombie game though... but it DOES have Zombies, so I thought I'd mention it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both Zombies!!! and Last Night on Earth and I would highly recommend picking up Zombies!!! Its fun and light, plus its highly expandable. If you are interested in solo play there are plenty of variants at Twilight Creations website that feature solo play. Some work better than others, but the option is there.

Last Night on Earth is an expensive game, but the poduction values are sky high. You wouldn't feel ripped off simply based on the components that come with LNoE. I've opened up and looked at LNoE, but I have yet to play it. Why? Because the people I play with enjoy Zombies!!! so much that we haven't even wanted to play LNoE! I'm sure it will hit the table eventually, but right now Zombies!!! provides plenty of entertainment for us.

I play Zombies!!! with mostly women and sometimes another guy. They seem to like the theme, and the backstabbing element is really fun. LNoE is more of an us against them style of play, whereas Zombies!!! is every man/woman for themselves.

Zombies!!! has some flaws and you will need to print out the FAQ over at Twilight Creations Inc's website, but I bought my copy for $25 and I consider it some very well spent cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BonesJackson wrote:
I own both Zombies!!! and Last Night on Earth and I would highly recommend picking up Zombies!!! Its fun and light, plus its highly expandable. If you are interested in solo play there are plenty of variants at Twilight Creations website that feature solo play. Some work better than others, but the option is there.

Last Night on Earth is an expensive game, but the poduction values are sky high. You wouldn't feel ripped off simply based on the components that come with LNoE. I've opened up and looked at LNoE, but I have yet to play it. Why? Because the people I play with enjoy Zombies!!! so much that we haven't even wanted to play LNoE! I'm sure it will hit the table eventually, but right now Zombies!!! provides plenty of entertainment for us.

I play Zombies!!! with mostly women and sometimes another guy. They seem to like the theme, and the backstabbing element is really fun. LNoE is more of an us against them style of play, whereas Zombies!!! is every man/woman for themselves.

Zombies!!! has some flaws and you will need to print out the FAQ over at Twilight Creations Inc's website, but I bought my copy for $25 and I consider it some very well spent cash.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. Have you yourself played Zombies!!! solo? If so, how did it work out?

Thanks,
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried zombies!!! solo a few times and I've found it enjoyable. Its basically what you make of it. If you have a good imagination and can really get into the theme of the game it can be very fun. If you can get into/imagine the various events that occur - tripping and falling over your untied shoelaces, the joy of finding a shotgun in the hands of a fresh police officer corspe...then you will probably enjoy the game solo. I love movies like Dawn of the Dead, and Evil Dead so the Zombies!!! theme fits very well with my personal tastes. The biggest hurdle for the solo game is keeping the tension high.

Last Night on Earth comes with a music CD for playing during the game and while its just OK, its a great idea. I noticed that on Twilight Creations website there was a link to band's website called Midnight Syndicate. They make creepy horror/goth instrumental music that is perfect for games like Zombies!!! and LNoE. If you are playing solo it might help to have something like that playing the background to get the tension pumping...just a thought and certainly not neccessary.

Zombies!!! is meant to be played with a few people and its fun even with just 2. Alot of enjoyment comes from the backstabbing element found in the event deck. The mulitplayer games tend to be tense races to the finish. All the stops are pulled out and misfortune waits around every corner. Eventually one person will "get to the choppa" and fly away to safety.

Your solo mileage will vary and it really depends on your mind set. If you are willing to get into it then you will find the solo play engaging. It isn't particularly deep, but it plays out differently every time thanks to the tile laying mechanic. You could meet a quick demise if you get a bad draw of event cards (in solo play) or blast your way through the undead...its different each time and its alot of fun. Plus you can always tweak the game with your own rules to make it fit your personal playing style. Its very versatile and the Twilight Creations Website has tons of different variants. You can play any of them or mix a few of them together. I'm sure you could find a way to make it very enjoyable as a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BonesJackson wrote:
I have tried zombies!!! solo a few times and I've found it enjoyable. Its basically what you make of it. If you have a good imagination and can really get into the theme of the game it can be very fun. If you can get into/imagine the various events that occur - tripping and falling over your untied shoelaces, the joy of finding a shotgun in the hands of a fresh police officer corspe...then you will probably enjoy the game solo. I love movies like Dawn of the Dead, and Evil Dead so the Zombies!!! theme fits very well with my personal tastes. The biggest hurdle for the solo game is keeping the tension high.

Last Night on Earth comes with a music CD for playing during the game and while its just OK, its a great idea. I noticed that on Twilight Creations website there was a link to band's website called Midnight Syndicate. They make creepy horror/goth instrumental music that is perfect for games like Zombies!!! and LNoE. If you are playing solo it might help to have something like that playing the background to get the tension pumping...just a thought and certainly not neccessary.

Zombies!!! is meant to be played with a few people and its fun even with just 2. Alot of enjoyment comes from the backstabbing element found in the event deck. The mulitplayer games tend to be tense races to the finish. All the stops are pulled out and misfortune waits around every corner. Eventually one person will "get to the choppa" and fly away to safety.

Your solo mileage will vary and it really depends on your mind set. If you are willing to get into it then you will find the solo play engaging. It isn't particularly deep, but it plays out differently every time thanks to the tile laying mechanic. You could meet a quick demise if you get a bad draw of event cards (in solo play) or blast your way through the undead...its different each time and its alot of fun. Plus you can always tweak the game with your own rules to make it fit your personal playing style. Its very versatile and the Twilight Creations Website has tons of different variants. You can play any of them or mix a few of them together. I'm sure you could find a way to make it very enjoyable as a solo game.

Thanks for the reply! It sounds like Zombies!!! has the potential to be a good solo experience....
I have found a couple of free print and play zombie games around, so I think I might give one of those a try to "test the waters"...If these play the way I'm hoping, I'll look seriously at Zombies!!!
BTW, I was unable to find the scenarios you refer to on the Twilight Creations website...maybe I was in the wrong spot....where can I find them, to see what all is available if I DO go for Zombies!!!...?

Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated! (I like Dawn of the Dead, NOTLD, and Evil Dead (1 & 2) also....I really do like zombie movies. Shaun of the Dead is excellent, and I also really like 28 Days/Weeks Later, even though they are not technically "zombie" movies. Have you seen "Dead & Breakfast"? Funny!)

jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Breitenstein
United States
Campbell County
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi James,
Go to:
http://www.twilightcreationsinc.com/zombies/
The variants are all the way at the bottom of the page.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Todd
Twilight Creations, Inc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toddbreitenstein wrote:
Hi James,
Go to:
http://www.twilightcreationsinc.com/zombies/
The variants are all the way at the bottom of the page.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Todd
Twilight Creations, Inc.

Thanks, I appreciate it! I checked out the page and saw several variants and scenarios, but I didn't find too many solo variants/scenarios....am I missing something? Sorry to be such a pain, but I want to make sure this will work for me if I buy it.

Thanks for your help and patience,
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No you're not missing anything. There are only a few specific variants for solo play. They are pretty good though. I happen to like the solo variant called "Alone". That one seems to work well enough.

Plus some of the other scenarios don't specify solo play, but it can be done. Plus if you see a scenario that looks cool, you could probably tweak it enough so that it can be played solo. Thats one of my favorite things about Zombies!!! There are so many different ways to play it.

To answer your previous question, yes I have seen "Dead and Breakfast" and thought it was great. It wasn't quite as good as Shaun of the Dead, but it was still a nice humorous zombie romp. Certainly worth a watch for fans of genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.