flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
John Cleese wrote:
Dear Citizens of America,

In view of your failure to elect a competent President and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately.....

http://starrgazr.wordpress.com/2008/02/15/john-cleeses-lette...

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I live in "Pittsburra". I never knew...

I suppose this also means we will have access to the excellent British dental services. Outstanding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

I suppose this also means we will have access to the excellent British dental services. Outstanding!

Sorry, you're several years too late for those. My dentist has recently renamed itself "Smile Concepts" and thrown out all its NHS patients :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't this joke like 10 years old at least you know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

It's a viral thing that's been doing the rounds since your Supreme Court elected George Bush. That's the first time I've seen John Cleese's name attached to it. There are some people who claim that the first version was on an internal newsgroup at the company I work for (which will be nameless) and have (or had, I think the archives are probably trashed now as the newsgroup is no more) some eveidence to that effect. I remain sceptical of that being definitely true though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah sorry, not Cleese ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Csigs wrote:
Yeah sorry, not Cleese ...

Say what you want, but I know Cleese's voice when I hear it - and the narrator in my head is definitely he.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

Please step away from the deceased equine beast, and put the down the whip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ramsey
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
It's a viral thing that's been doing the rounds since your Supreme Court elected George Bush....

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Oh, wait...that poor Bloke was probably serious. Appologies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moss_icon wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Please step away from the deceased equine beast, and put the down the whip.

Yes, because the big, fat, asinine, stupid American is a joke as fresh and pure as a summer breeze.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Octavian wrote:

It's a viral thing that's been doing the rounds since your Supreme Court elected George Bush.

Such complete lack of understanding bolsters my confidence that our founders did the exact right thing in shedding themselves of the yoke of British ignorance.

But to be fair... you guys did give us The Beatles, Jaguar XKE's and the Harrier. Not too bad for a bunch of island yokels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
Octavian wrote:

It's a viral thing that's been doing the rounds since your Supreme Court elected George Bush.

Such complete lack of understanding

Duh, it's a joke. Well, a jokey summary. Consistent with the "original".

Quote:
bolsters my confidence that our founders did the exact right thing in shedding themselves of the yoke of British ignorance.

But to be fair... you guys did give us The Beatles, Jaguar XKE's and the Harrier. Not too bad for a bunch of island yokels.

Just as I will assume that this is, rather than your own brand of ignorance.

I think you missed Scotch whisky. Don't drink it myself, but I think it's also regarded as one of Britain's more successful exports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys be careful. There may come a time when we look around and find that the only friend we have in the world is the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
Duh, it's a joke. Well, a jokey summary. Consistent with the "original".

S'okay Chris... I was inwardly smiling, in a jokey sort of way. It's my Americanized opinion that British humor is best left to the slapstick and silly sorts like Benny Hill and the old Monty Python era... back before they got rich. Brits don't do the ironic humor as well as Americans.

Oh yeah... and I forgot Top Gear. Truly one of the most entertaining shows ever put on television.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like me grandfather used to say...

"The bloody Brits are overpaid, overfed, overdressed, oversexed, and OVER THERE!!!"

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Brits don't do the ironic humor as well as Americans.
DW you have finally flipped. Give me one example of good American ironic humour.

Oh, and that was clearly never written by John Cleese, it contains several americanisms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
All I can think of is my Ex(who's a stokey limey) at a restaurant tying to order a glass of "Wooo-Tar"...followed by "Coke"....no "Woo-tar"...."Milk"?......"No, Wooooo-Tar!"...

After a few minutes of this, my head explodes and I yell "She wants Wader you idiot!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

Now to a Brit, that's complete nonsense. We think of the Americans as totally devoid of irony. We even make jokes about that. It's not true of course, but there is a truth in it - most comedy doesn't travel. Many (most?) top-rating US comedies are just not funny here. Some others are.

But there is a major British comedy strand based on irony. Have you ever seen Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister? I could see that appealing to some Americans, of which you may (or may not) be one.

On the other hand one of the most brilliant British TV comedies ever was Dad's Army (although as ever better in its earlier years). Of course it's dated - but it was dated when it was made (it's a 60s/70s show about the war). But I expect that not one in a hundred Americans today would find it funny (odd moments aside). That's because if you dissect it (not that you should) its number one subject is the British class system (which was breaking down in its rigidity by when it was made, which I assume was partly the point).

Quote:
I forgot Top Gear. Truly one of the most entertaining shows ever put on television.

Apparently, according to an article I read in the Guardian, very high on lists of pirated TV shows. There's an American version planned - they are looking for an American Jeremy Clarkson.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
boltongeordie wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
DW you have finally flipped. Give me one example of good American ironic humour.

I think that was it.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:

Ack! It's the attack of the British Chris's...

It took me a single nanosecond to answer you: P.J. O'Rourke... anything by him. Whether his books, his writings for The Rolling Stone, The National Lampoon, or his 70's and 80's Car & Driver articles, The guy is brilliant, ironic, satorical, literate and funnier than almost any British satirist or humorist in existence.

Not to mention, unlike many who started out apolitical and when they got filthy rich suddenly became Commies, knee-jerk liberals or apologists for the nanny-state... O'Rourke began as a tripped-out anti-war Hippie in the 60's and as he found a measure of success peeled back the layers of his false "sense of rightness" and outrage and discovered that he really is not a Hippie liberal.... not a true conservative either... but a keen and insightful observer of all things political.

I recommend you read some of his stuff first, like "Give War a Chance" or "All the Trouble in the World", then I'll enlighten you some more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
boltongeordie wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

I think Larry the Cable Guy is steeped in irony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
There's an American version planned - they are looking for an American Jeremy Clarkson.

Could be a sad thing... knock-offs usually fall short of delivering what orginal concepts have.... but, I'd like to sign up as the American "Stig".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Quote:
There's an American version planned - they are looking for an American Jeremy Clarkson.

Could be a sad thing... knock-offs usually fall short of delivering what orginal concepts have.... but, I'd like to sign up as the American "Stig".

True, except for "The Office".(And Three's Company).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Quote:

There's supposedly an Australian version planned. Personally I think we should just stick with the British import in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
There's supposedly an Australian version planned.

I think any country in the world that will pay the BBC enough money can have its own version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.