Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2008 the Topeka Board Game Group will hold a Board Game Drive to collect games for the Boys & Girls Club of Topeka. The Group will be accepting donations in the form of used or new board games and card games, which can be brought to the Gatekeeper (a co-sponsor of the event), and will be accepting Paypal contributions through their website - www.topekaboardgamers.org - as well as gift certificates purchased at the Gatekeeper.

The Topeka Board Game Group is doing this to provide an opportunity for the kids and teens who attend the Boys & Girls Club to play games they might not otherwise have a chance to play. For many Americans the term "Board Game" unfortunately means only one thing - Monopoly. The past decade has seen an explosion in the variety and creativity of new board and card games. The Group has compiled a list of games that they wish to purchase or hope to have donated for the very purpose of adding these exciting new choices to the Boys & Girls Club's tables.

Donations will be accepted now through May 16th. The goal is to have all the games delivered to the Boys & Girls Club in time for the start of their summer program when many of Topeka's youth will be attending the Club 8 or more hours a day.

If you wish to send us your old games or buy games at your favorite online store you can have them shipped directly to us at:

Topeka Board Game Drive
c/o The Gatekeeper
4123 SW Gage Dr Suite 100
Topeka, KS 66604
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

Excellent idea!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I've been keeping a close eye on Tanga. The other day I bought two copies of Aquadukt (one for me, one for the drive). There are two facilities that have summer programs and several after-school programs, so having lots of copies of a game is a good thing.

I have to mention our first game publisher to send in donations - Small Box Games. Thanks, John!

My hope is that come May I can post a picture of a huge table stacked with games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We were mentioned on The Dice Tower in episode 116. Thanks, guys!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cole
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently at $60 with a goal of $400 by May, plus any games we receive. Again a special thanks ot Small Box games for their donation.
www.topekaboardgamers.org
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cole
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We managed to get at least 15 minutes of air time on a local radio station to talk about the drive and gaming in general.
Listen here: http://www.kmaj1440.com/home.php at 9am cst
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope I managed to not sound like a complete idiot on there. My mantra was "don't screw up, don't screw up, don't screw up..."

Folks, I wasn't kidding when I said that facility needs games. There is practically nothing there. They have some odd junky bits mixed in with the stones for the one Mancala game they have. There was not a single Monopoly game. Sorry was a mess. The ones that looked the most intact were two copies of Who Wants to be a Millionaire and some Barbie game.

Last night one of our members brought in Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne. I would love to see even more quality games like that donated. There are two facilities we're serving, so multiple copies would be greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If any of you have a Barnes & Noble store that's selling some good games at 75% off right now, but they're games you already have or what have you, then consider sending them our way. We're accepting donations until May 16th, so you've got plenty of time to send them. I bought 3 today for less than $19.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cole
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We would like to thank Out of the Box for their donation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
You know I was born in Topeka? How weird is that!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Where'bouts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received my first Double-Tanga order (I bought one copy of a game for me and one for the drive). Thanks Tanga!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The drive is doing pretty well. We've got a lot of game donations in so far. The only thing I would say we're lacking is monetary donations. We're wanting to provide some of the highest-rated games to give these kids a chance to play something they may never have a chance to play otherwise. We'd like to buy a couple of copies of Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Zooleretto and lots of others. If you could send even just a few dollars that would be a huge help. A great big Thank You to all of those who have helped so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cole
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update:

The drive is over and we were able to deliver 70 games to the Boys and Girls Club of Topeka. Thanks to all who helped make this possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have pictures of the pile of games but I'm having trouble uploading them. If I can't figure it out soon I'll host them on our site and link to them that that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.