Subject: Getting started & what to do on a turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought Die Macher [Valley Games ed.] and was going to have a game. No one who'd played before was available [nor is likely to be]. Two things are not clear:

1. The starting position on the score-card. The rules give one example without explanation. I assume the numbers 1-6/7 refer to rounds. What does the rest mean? [The part for recording bids is obvious; the rest isn't.]

2. I see all about choosing who is the first player, but the rules I have never actually say what a player does on a turn. Can anyone please fill me in?

This is the only game I've ever had where, once the board was set up and with rules in front of us, we had to put it away and play something else.

UPDATE
Thank you to all for the comments. They were quite helpful to clarify the two points where I was confused. Earlier today I soloed a game, although I made mistakes [skipping steps] a couple of times. Still, my very initial impressions are quite good. Not only is it a very good game in and of itself but it's quite different than anything else I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First - it impossible to learn the game as you tried. You must play a turn solitaire before you introduce the game to others.

It is not a difficult game. It is build up in 13 easy step as a procedure.

1. The rest of scoring are explained on page 19. step 7.1 -7.5

2. It starts on page 13. All players start at 6.2.1 doing each step up to 6.4 - then back again to step 6.2.1.

You must print a player aid to each player. Pick one you like from BGG files.

Hope you find my article of learning the game interesting:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/159702

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played the game, but Boardgames with Scott has a video on it. http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/?p=40

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem is not with understanding what is stated in the rules; that's clear enough. The problem is what is NOT stated. The calculations I could do in my sleep. Please-- I spend my days doing quantum field theoretical calculations in a curved spacetime background. The player aids I saw-- before I posted-- which were not simply bad files just regurgitated verbatim the key points of the rules printed in three different languages [no worries there it helps to keep my German and Spanish in practice].

My questions are specifically with what is NOT stated. [The one-hour long video might be useful but I'd have to watch it on someone else's computer.]

1. What is the key/legend to the left-hand portion of the score-card for initial set-up?

2. What does a player do on a turn? I.e., does each player do one action in sequence until no one can or wants to do anything else or does each player go once a round do everything he can and then the next player goes? The rules NEVER say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick one of column A and one of column B. Column A gives you positive trends (thumbs up), meeting markers (balloons), and/or votes (X). Column B gives you media markers (microphones), and/or party people (people).

During a turn, first phase is changing the party program. Everyone does that, in turn order. Next the Shadow Cabinet. Again, everyone does that. And so on.

Do you have more questions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. All players bid to find a starting player.

then:

2.Each player (You can do it simultanously) may change their cards.

When all finished - you move to next step:

3. All players may use cabinet cards and perform its actions.

4. Form coalition. Only applicable to players with a phone marker on current state.

When finished - you move to next step:

5. Start with the starting player - you all buy media markers.

6. 5. Start with the starting player - you all buy party meetings (small cubes)

7. Auction of media poll. Start to bid on action card with starting player. Resolve each card.

8. Convert meeting markers to votes in 3 states.

9. Score current state.

10. Increase membership for all players.

11. All players get money.

12. Clean up boards -set up for next round.

When finished - you move to next step:

13. All players may use contribution cards to get money or increase membership.

When finished - you move back to step 1.

Do this 6 times.

Finally and just once:

Score on the 7. board.

then:

Total all scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much!

The apparent correspondence of the check-boxes to rounds was throwing me off. That's why the score-card did not make sense. Once I see that they're just a set of "option packages" which each individual player applies to a particular round [as applicable] it becomes clear. This could have been clarified with one sentence added to the rules.

Also addition of some statement to the effect that the listed actions are done in the sequence stated with each player taking one turn at the start of the rules would be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It reminds me of a game of Zendo. Once the brain is locked on a problem - it sees only the problem. Even if the solution is simple. Been there several times.

It is a great game. Do not be scared of your time used on first round. It will probably be more than an hour. And you think game will drag for 8 hours. With fewer cards to select from and more experience the game will speed up considerably in the last 3 rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. The sensation you get when the board drops to three quarters is something unique.

To further clarify, pick one of column A and one of column B at the start of the game, and then you're done with that section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:
...With fewer cards to select ...

Hmmmm... that reminds me (first time player here) are there any particular decks (party policy, etc.) that are not allowed to be reused after being fully discarded? I noted at one point in the rules one deck is allowed to be reused when you run out, but other decks are not given the same instruction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.