Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Edwards
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recommend having your head exploded due to the pressure generated by your brain being boiled by sizzling hot laser beams shooting through your eye sockets. It just ain't good.

Ticket to Ride can be a fun, family game. It's got Choo-choos. It's got colors. It's got a nice map that teaches geography while building strong bodies. It's got Choo-choos. It has a totally irrelevant back story. It's got neat cards. And Choo-choos. It also has the secret trap that turns your skull into a grenade of overheated gray matter.

My wife was instantly taken by TTR. She likes Carcassonne, Catan, and even plays Memoir '44 on occasion. She even kicks my butt at Up Front, and annoys me by calling the satchel charges "blow-up bags".

She might even be called a competitor, something that was driven home to me when our first child was born and she immediately demanded to see the weight charts for all the other kids born in the hospital that day (we won for heaviest and largest head).

Now, normally a session report includes stuff about how the game went, but I can't do that, because my head was exploded, wiping out any memories I had about whether my strategy was to go for the long routes or complete a bunch of short tickets. I can barely recall listening to the CD of train music I'd burned for background when we played (There are about a billion and six train songs, BTW).

What I dimly recall is that after a narrow victory, I decided to double check my score by picking up the Choo-choos as I tallied each route. When my bride wanted to verify my math, I told her that I'd picked up the trains...and then two strange lights began to glow where her eyes should have been.

I'd heard the phrase "If looks could kill" but whoever came up with it has never picked up the TTR trains too soon for the spouse to check them, otherwise they'd know that looks can not only kill, they can make your head explode like a pan of Jiffy Pop on enough steroids to make a pro baseball player blush.

I love TTR. So does my better half. But please, people, be careful with those killer Choo-choos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to read about you using music to enhance you game of TTR!!!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, sorry about your brush with death there, but can we hear more about the train songs? This would make a great geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edwards
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ellephai wrote:
Yeah, sorry about your brush with death there, but can we hear more about the train songs? This would make a great geeklist.

Uh, I'll try....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tassie
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone looking for train songs, go here for a list of them:
http://www.thespoon.com/trainhop/songs.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, you're a Marine, and she put the fear of God in your heart!? Man oh man, don't you EVER forget your Anniversary! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Schoonmaker
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny to hear about the train songs. Ever since I played an online game, I can't get the song "City of New Orleans" out of my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloodybucket wrote:
It's got a nice map that teaches geography...

No, it doesn't. My edition's map would have you believe that Washington DC is in Virginia Beach, Maine is in Canada, and Chicago is in Indiana. I don't know if this was fixed in later editions, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, fortunately for you, she didn't kill you.

Perhaps she remembered the words of a famous train song and wanted to avoid a similar outcome:

"I hear the train a comin'
it's rolling round the bend
and I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when,
I'm stuck in Folsom prison, and time keeps draggin' on
but that train keeps a rollin' on down to San Anton.."

Perhaps the "Man in Black" reached back from beyond the grave and saved your life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolfer
United States
Moreno Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an important warning for all married gamers. Thank you for doing this public service. blacktrain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
....Maine is in Canada....

Its NOT?!?!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.