Popular Tags: [View All]
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this on the Dice Tower guild but thought it would be better on a larger forum.

What are unusual games that you have found to be good for newbies? We know the usual suspects but what are there unsung heroes in your game closet?

Medici: I have not only used this game for newbies but it probably has the record for the, "Wow, let's play this again" award. In addition I find that newbies play it well and often win, which you would not think to be the case.

Survive!:
This has a mysterious history. Someone out there in the USA in1979-1980 had the "Euro" mindset going on with this game. I guess we will never know who it was and why they made it.

It has been a great Newbie game for me. It has fun action between players. Even when it is not your turn everyone is worried about being eaten by sharks or knocked out by whales. It is intuitive, get off the island and to safety. The "action point" system, use of tiles and hidden VPs under the plastic meeples all that makes it a nice gateway.

That's Life!: This is my uber casual gateway-to-a-gateway champ. It works well among that very social yet, very non-game crowd. The Roll and Move aspect is something everyone understands since childhood.

The "Far Side" like artwork gives it an almost party game light-heartedness. I use this game in the social crowd and afterwards people then trust me when I pull out a TtR or a Niagara type game.

Kingdoms: Straight forward. Add up the numbers.

Winner's Circle: Very solid with Newbies in my experience. People like racing and the horse racing is intuitive to most people. It also gives a little bit of Co-op/team feel since people bet on the same horses. It is very inter-active and some great table banter always goes along with it.

So, what are your Unsung Heroes for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Wabash Cannball worked excellently for me with a set of professional financial advisors. They adored the forward-looking risk and incentive management and caught on faster than most to the emergent collusive aspects of the game. I think we played 3 back-to-back-to-back games that day.

Sticheln is always a good one for players who have any familiarity with traditional trick taking card games ala Whist, Hearts etc. Also a great one for repeat play.

Billabong is very much a sleeper. Typically they get about 4 turns in and then suddenly go, Ohhhhhhhh... and the game starts.

I introduced Neuland to a commercial airline routing/timing software developer with no prior gaming experience. She adored it.

Thor/Loco/Qunadary/Flinke Plinke is an old traditional. Fine for what it is.

Intrige has done very well for me with non-gaming teenagers.

I used Feurio! successfully with quite a few parents some years back. Many many repeat plays there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inca gold!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Manhattan - it provides instant feedback as the players attack and counter attack. They get excited.

Masons - no attacks, but stimulates friendly conversation.

I made a list:
Real Life Gateway RESULTS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anything by Zoch

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/publisher/87

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave L.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Himalaya Himalaya Himalaya

I always boost this one. I think it's a far better newbie gateway game than Ticket to Ride or Carcassone because it's fast and fun, but also strategic and interactive. Those other games are better for non-gamers because you can play them with your brain off, but I don't know that they prepare you for tougher Euro games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.