Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Goetz
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading a good deal on 1960 and it sounds like a great game... my fiancee and I, who have been ramping up our interest and frequency of game playing quite a bit in the past few months, haven't quite played anything like it, I don't think. It sounds like the easiest and most obvious comparison is Twilight Struggle, but we've never played that. I don't think we would like traditional wargames, but it sounds like this isn't one. The theme is very appealing, especially for her, as a political science major. So, my main general question is how this game might appeal to a gaming couple in the Euro mindset and not terribly interested in the Memoir '44 and up realm of wargames and such. My second question is whether this game is weighted in favor of one player or the other, and you would have to play as both for it to be even (I know her... she wouldn't play as Nixon unless she HAD to!)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is more of an area contol game. It is not anything like traditional wargames, and is really nothing like Memoir. Aside from playing cards, the 2 have little in common. True, some other wargames also share the card driven mechanic; nonetheless, they are quite different than 1960.

In my opinion, neither side is weighted in favor of the other, though others may disagree. My advice: get it; it is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very much a euro, except that it's card driven which adds a fair amount of luck. It's much closer to Carcassonne that it is to any wargame that I know of(more rules than Carc but a similar idea).

I'm not a huge fan but based on your interests it sounds like it will be something you'll like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend it. It is not at all wargamey. A Euro player will definitely enjoy it. Political science majors will love it. I have not noticed a bias in gameplay.

Really--you'll love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mills
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you two would like 1960. My wife is by far my most common gaming partner and she is not interested at all in war games. I talked her into playing Axis and Allies a few years ago and that did not go well.

I bought 1960 after reading of other people who played it with their wives. I am a politics junkie but my wife isn't quite as much. We have both loved the game since we got it. Most matches have been very close.

Oh, and as far as playing as Nixon goes. You can let her play as Kennedy every time. I have found them to be evenly matched, though it can be argued that Kennedy has a slight advantage. Most husbands don't mind giving a slight advantage to their wives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to buy as well, but have run into a problem: it seems to be sold out wherever I look online. Does anyone know if it is available anywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Goetz
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This, I've found out... it seems it will be reprinted in March. However, I have discovered that it's available on the marketplace at BGG from CLS Games, in case you want it right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.