Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'Brushwood Collector' card allows you to use wood in place of reeds. The card specifically states, "You may replace the required reeds with 1 wood for any renovation or extension."

Does this mean 'one wood for each reed' or 'one wood for all reeds'. I know it's only a one-wood difference when extending, but I would like a clarification nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Schwabenheim an der Selz
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as the word "each" is missing, it is 1 Wood total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow, Hanno, I was playing that wrong. I know the language on the cards is very precise, but you may want to make it clearer on this one; it isn't what most players would expect, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this better?

Quote:
You may replace the required Reed with a total of 1 Wood for any Renovation or Extension. (You use brushwood to make the roof)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
How about "You may replace the required Reeds with a total of 1 Wood for any Renovation or Extension", Melissa?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanno wrote:
as the word "each" is missing, it is 1 Wood total.

If you're adding more than 1 room, does this mean 1 Wood total for all extensions, or 1 Wood per extension? (ex. If you were adding 2 Wooden rooms, would it cost 5+1 Wood per extension (12 total Wood)? Or 5*2+1 (11 total Wood) instead of 10 Wood and 4 Reeds?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Schwabenheim an der Selz
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each extension is dealt with separately. So you build one new room, BC triggers, you pay the cost (or the alterbative cost), then you choose if you want to build one more room. If you do, BC triggers again, and so on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The english translation is misleading. It should say each new Room (jedem neuen Raum), not "any extension".

I think it's pretty common to think of building 2+ rooms in the same action as a single extension and then you are led to believe that 1 wood replaces all the reeds for all rooms.

We certainly played the card wrong until I checked the german text today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug McKay
msg tools
To me, the word "extension" refers to all the rooms added in a single action, so two wooden rooms would cost eleven wood, and three would cost sixteen. This impression is reinforced by the phrase "required reed" without specifying any number, and by "a total of one wood," which to me denies any need for multiplication.

If the cost is supposed to be per room, why wouldn't that be specified on the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The unofficial official compendium disagrees. I dont have the card in front of me, but this says 1 wood for each room you build. Maybe they changed the text after your printing. There are some other instances where it refers to an extension as building one room, and you can do multiple extensions with that action. The iOS app charges 12 wood for 2 rooms as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.