Subject: Why not 5 player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would happen if we played the normal game with normal rules, but with 5 players? What doesn't work about it? Seems like it should work the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Forrest
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We were thinking about trying it too. One potential problem is that the card supply could get pretty low or even run out near the end of the game.

There are 114 cards, which would be about 23 per player, and that might not be enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick fix is to have two copies . Additionally the expansion will allow the game to support 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
W4st wrote:
We were thinking about trying it too. One potential problem is that the card supply could get pretty low or even run out near the end of the game.

There are 114 cards, which would be about 23 per player, and that might not be enough.

That's already a problem in 4-player games. Just reshuffle it.

The main issue is that there are only four decks of actions cards, but you could of course get multiple copies. With 5 players, more phases occur per round on average which result in a slightly different gameplay. I'm sure it would still be enjoyable though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
W4st wrote:

The main issue is that there are only four decks of actions cards, but you could of course get multiple copies. With 5 players, more phases occur per round on average which result in a slightly different gameplay. I'm sure it would still be enjoyable though.

Without triggering the end of the game, each player could have 21 cards at the end of the turn (11 on the board and 10 in hand). That would leave 9 cards in the deck, and I'm not even taking into account goods. There's no way that 114 cards are enough to support five players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
I was assuming that 5 players wouldn't work so well since the chances of most of the actions being chosen each round would be pretty high. But it's got me wondering how they're planning on handling that in the first 5-player expansion. More actions perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Webb
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played the game with 5 players several times (we just have homemade action cards) and it seems to work pretty well actually. The cards do get a bit low towards the end but we have never actually run out. It is a slightly different game since, as hypothesised, there are more different actions chosen on average but it's still got the same flavour...I'd recommend giving it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:

Without triggering the end of the game, each player could have 21 cards at the end of the turn (11 on the board and 10 in hand). That would leave 9 cards in the deck, and I'm not even taking into account goods. There's no way that 114 cards are enough to support five players.

Would using glass beads as goods counters buy some slack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:
W4st wrote:

I see your point. I'd only ever played with 2, but did my first three player today and by the end of the game the deck was pretty small. We all had full hands and near full tableaus. With 2 others playing, I'm sure there wouldn't have been enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With five players you could use cubes for goods instead of cards but still pay for things with cards so that the deck would cycle. If you play with the random starting world variant you can probably even run 6-player games using cubes for goods. I'm gonna try it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.