Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do monsters get the same number of defense dice as attack dice? If not, I seem to be missing where it's listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Under Fighting, step 4 states "Monster rolls its Defence Dice, if it has any". In the room contents table the only monster to have defence dice listed is "Dracular! 9 Attack Dice and 9 Defence Dice". I always took that to mean that the others don't have any defence.

Most of the time you're still going to die in the dungeon

For a variation on the theme with a different fighting mechanism, try Solo Tower Hack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. When I read the rules and skimmed the monsters, I missed that one did in fact have defense dice listed. Since I didn't see any (my mistake) I thought it must be = to attack dice.

Let me tell you, that's a killer way to try to get anywhere...

EDIT to add:
As far as the tower one, after a quick skim, I'm not terribly certain I'm interested in it. It seems to remove the few decisions that exist in this one.

The stairs dictate your path, so no more deciding whether to grind it out in lower levels for treasure, but risking getting worn down before even getting to the higher levels. And no choices of what to buy with treasure. As far as I can see, you just start and roll dice till you make it or don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
The stairs dictate your path, so no more deciding whether to grind it out in lower levels for treasure, but risking getting worn down before even getting to the higher levels. And no choices of what to buy with treasure. As far as I can see, you just start and roll dice till you make it or don't.

Yes, it's a complete luck-fest as-is. If you roll 2d6 instead of 1 during the stairs setup and assign a stairwell for each die, you'll mostly get a choice of staying on the level longer, or leaving sooner. You'll probably want to hang around on the lower levels, but cut through to the top of the tower ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
Yeah. When I read the rules and skimmed the monsters, I missed that one did in fact have defense dice listed. Since I didn't see any (my mistake) I thought it must be = to attack dice.

Hi, the designer here.

Your not the first to fall into that trap.

Most monsters have no defence dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:

Hi, the designer here.

Your not the first to fall into that trap.

Most monsters have no defence dice.

Yeah, it was a real beating playing it wrong...

Was mostly looking for a quick non-brain burner that I could play while waiting for stuff on the computer to finish up. (while something was compiling, downloading, or the like) I think it still may fill that role nicely, but the situations I intend to play it during haven't come back up since being corrected on the rules.

Thanks for the reply.

Off topic: Should you apply for a Designer badge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.