Subject: Closest end-game I've seen rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian G
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
So there I am, playing Mengsk against three other players (Raynor, Kerrigan and Tassadar).

Now the exciting thing about this is the end-game, but I may as well put it in some context, and summarize the action until that point.

The early battles centred on Vyctor V. That planet was pretty hard to find -- that is to say, it was the subject of many Navigation Errors. The Protoss had a base on the planet with air defence, and the Zerg moved in to the empty area preparing to take the base in the future. So I decided to be a jerk, link my homeworld to the planet, and leave Zerg's units stranded with no way to get back. The Protoss killed all the Zergies, after which I killed the Protoss to take the non-base area (which happened to be the 2-CP area) for myself.

And then the Zerg player gets a Navigation Error of his own, and decides to strand my units on Vyctor with no transport back to my base. I'm not prepared to take this one lying down, though, so the Protoss and I do a fair job of killing each other, losing 8 resources worth of units each.

And that's not even counting the infantry battalion I send to rid my expansion planet of the Protoss that same turn. I lose a marine and firebat, he loses two zealots.

All the while, the Zerg and Raynor are building up huge armies, staring each other down, and not actually attacking each other -- although eventually, Raynor draws first blood. The Zerg respond by throwing two zerglings at my 1-CP area against a single marine, but the 6/6 splash damage card takes care of both of them.

Right, so where are we now? The Protoss and I are both near death, having just wiped out most of each other's units -- but we both play Reinforcement Event Cards giving me a Siege Tank/Marine and him a Reaver/Zealot. Zergie's got 10-CP, Protoss and I have 9 each, and Raynor has 8 but has by far the largest army. He's been turtling, not really using it.

So I attack him on Antiga Prime. Thanks to order placement working in my favour, I manage to kill a bunch of his units while only losing a vulture, and I destroy his base on the 1-CP area. Raynor threatens to clash with the Zerg, and the Protoss threaten to attack Raynor, but neither of those attacks actually go through.

Okay, all of this was build-up. Here's what I'm really trying to get to. At this point the Protoss, Zerg and myself each have 12 points. Raynor's further behind now, with 9. None of us have achieved our SVCs.

We all start looking at our Event Cards, and Zerg shouts, "I have The End Draws Near." I say, "I have one too" and Protoss then displays "Stalling Tactic." So the three frontrunners each gain 1-CP, leaving us still in a 3-way tie at 13 points each, with the game ending.

The first tiebreaker is resources. "Dammit, I'm out," says Protoss. "All game long I only ever controlled Vyctor V and Abbadon. Honestly."

Zerg and I count up our resources. We each have 12.

The second tiebreaker is areas controlled. We each have 5.

The third tiebreaker is bases. We each have 2.

The fourth tiebreaker is workers. I have 12, Zerg has 9. "I guess I win," I say.

"Not so fast," says Raynor.

He's the only one who hasn't played his Event Card yet. It allows him to take a card from someone else's play area and execute it himself. He grabs "The End Draws Near" from my play area, and claims that he now gets its benefit instead of me -- so I lose the 1-CP it granted. The Zerg wins, 13-12.

We pack up the game and the Zerg player is in the middle of dealing out the cards for San Juan when I say, "Wait a minute. I -- I think I won that game."

"What?"

"We just threw our 'The End Draws Near' cards onto the table as soon as we saw them. We didn't play our cards in turn order."

"So?"

"Raynor played a card that lets him take an event card from another player's play area and execute it himself. But Raynor was before me in turn order. When he played his card, 'The End Draws Near' was not yet in my play area -- it was still in my hand. So he was not allowed to take it away from me."

That means that I did end up with 13 points, just like Zerg and Protoss -- and having won the fourth tiebreaker, I ended up with the win and the craziest end-game that I have ever seen, or ever expect to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Vawter
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You didnt' catch it during the game, so its still a loss. Next time you'll be ready to catch problems like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
PerfectStorm wrote:
You didnt' catch it during the game, so its still a loss. Next time you'll be ready to catch problems like that.

Dood, don't harsh his mellow. It was a cool story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus, I'm pretty sure you can't steal End Draws Near cards. They go in the common play area, not your play area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kester wrote:
Plus, I'm pretty sure you can't steal End Draws Near cards. They go in the common play area, not your play area.

Yeah, I agree. Though it was an awesome story. First time I've heard of a game going to End Draws Near.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.