Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Monopoly Express» Forums » Reviews

Subject: How to turn a long boring game into a slightly abstract fun dice game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Eberlin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start by saying this is Monopoly in name and heiroglyphics only. There is no physical money, there are no tokens, there is no "Free Parking"

In the package come an array of dice, some with property values and colors on them, and some with police officer icons. The game is really a dice set collection with a press your luck element rolled in.

Each turn a player rolls all of the dice (minus the house die, we'll get to that) in an attempt to match the sets on the tiny board. The board is nicely colored, with indentations for the die, and indications of how much the completed set is worth.

The player looks at the dice rolled then takes any police officers and places them in the center. If there are 3 of them there the player loses all possible income this turn (Can't stop anyone?) and ends their turn. If not then they choose any dice they like and place them on the appropriately colored space. There are also "Chance" dice which act as wild cards. You can only use one chance die per group.

If the player completes a set, they can then add the "house" die to their next roll which has 4 houses, 1 broken house which causes you to return a house, and a hotel. Houses are worth $1000 each at the end of your turn and if you roll 4 houses and then roll a hotel you gain $5000 more.

The game is played to a set dollar limit with the dice going back and forth between the players.

I really enjoyed this game, as it was more fun than most dice games, and did not have too much of the Monopoly theme. Don't get me wrong, I only hate monopoly because it's long and boring, not because of the theme. The only bits which use elements from them original are the pictures of the police officers and the colors of the properties (Which are not named).

This is a great quick game, and very portable. At $12.99 street it's worth every penny. I wouldn't want to play it constantly, but I think it'll find a space as a fun filler and a nice game to play on the go.

The player may then choose to stop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I like all 3 Express games released in the US so far (Sorry, Scrabble and Monopoly) and this is my favorite of the bunch. Looking forward to Clue & Battleship later in the year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.