Subject: Solaria at Orccon/Strategicon in Los Angeles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Hagvall
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Solaria was part of the track "Play with the Creator" at the game convention Orccon (http://www.strategicon.net) in Los Angeles. Demos were held on Feb 16 and Feb 17 (2008) at 6 p.m.

A "light/family" version of the full game was also play tested at the game design event Protospiel West on Feb 17.

Information provided about the demo to visitors:

Solaria
In this unique space game of area control, limited actions and resource management, the main action plays out on the five planets that rotate around the sun (Solaria) in different orbits. From the neophyte interplanetary capital on Luna, moon of Prime, to the local governments on the five planets, the newly united races of the Solaria system seek to spread their influence and control the fragile system-wide bureaucracy. As the leader of your race, can you build support on the planets, wisely assign your Councilors, and seize power as the Emperor of Solaria?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played in the Feb 16 demo of Solaria last weekend, and boy am I glad I did. I had heard a little about this game on the SoCal mail lists and things like that, and I was very interested in trying it out. I am a fan of area control games with a twist, my quintessential example being In the Shadow of the Emperor, where you're encouraged to fight for different areas each round, and where your influence ages and falls off the board. Solaria is also an area control game with a twist - the 2 cool features of the game are a dual resource system - actions cost some money and some people - so you need to balance your income in both, because running out of either will cause problems. The other feature I thought was original was that the areas in which you deposit influence actually move around the board. They are planets in orbit. Some orbits are longer than others, so the distance between planets changes from round to round, which has a big impact on the game.

I liked the game very much - it was very deep. I definitely have ideas of how I'd play next time, and I look forward to the opportunity! I could have played in a second demo of the game, but I chose to play in a Container tournament instead. In retrospect I think that was a mistake!

- Seth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.