Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Help me out here. My understanding of international politics aren't the sharpest.

Kosovo has declared itself as a country, much to the chargin of Serbia.
What's the odds that this will re-erupt into war? Is the region stable enough now (or does the presence of UN troops) prevent war from happening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I doubt that there'll be a war. Serbia's trying to join the EU, and the process isn't going well already. AFAIK, the biggest sticking point right now is fugitive war crimes suspects from the war in Kosovo, so a renewed war would probably destroy any hope joining the EU for decades.

On the other hand, I think that Kosovo contains at least one site that's considered important in the formation of the Serbian Orthodox Church, so they might just say "fuck it".

Either way, Vladimir Putin is sure to be even more of a pleasure to deal with in the year ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
Best short article I have seen on the situation http://www.economist.com/world/europe/displaystory.cfm?story...

Basically the region has been a UN protectoate since the ethnic clensing so it hasn't been a functional part of Serbia, but as we are dealing with a culture with a seriously strong warrior tradtion (they were deployed on the edges of the Austro-Hungarian Emprie as shock troops in case of Otterman invasion, Serbs were also disproporately repsented in the USSR's Army) they are not likely to take the idea of sucession with grace.

It is likly to be a diplomatic battle, but bloodshead would not be a suprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Kortleven
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
I doubt that there'll be a war. Serbia's trying to join the EU, and the process isn't going well already. AFAIK, the biggest sticking point right now is fugitive war crimes suspects from the war in Kosovo, so a renewed war would probably destroy any hope joining the EU for decades.

Do not forget that EU membership was also heavily linked to the recent presidential election. The pro-EU Tadic won, but by a small margin. The independance of Kosovo and the acceptance of it by the bigger EU countries might easily sway the argument the other way.

I also don't expect a full-blown war, but I fear for a situation like the palestina/Israel conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mchall wrote:
Best short article I have seen on the situation http://www.economist.com/world/europe/displaystory.cfm?story...

Basically the region has been a UN protectoate since the ethnic clensing so it hasn't been a functional part of Serbia, but as we are dealing with a culture with a seriously strong warrior tradtion (they were deployed on the edges of the Austro-Hungarian Emprie as shock troops in case of Otterman invasion, Serbs were also disproporately repsented in the USSR's Army) they are not likely to take the idea of sucession with grace.

It is likly to be a diplomatic battle, but bloodshead would not be a suprise.

Just some facts correction.

Serbs were actually not part of USSR army, Yugoslavia of which Serbia was part was one of the non-aligned countries, it had communist government but the one that did not take orders from Moscow and was in many ways closer tied to the west.

Also, while there were some Serbs in the Austria Hungarian army, the bulk of Serbs (and most of what is today's Serbia) were part of the Ottoman Empire until early 19th century.

To answer the OP, the full scale war is extremely unlikely (baring sudden change of situation) but the region is due for long time of bad blood and nationalistic politics on all sides. Neither Serbia nor Kosovo will be very happy or pleasant places for quite a long time to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.