Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
...at least that's what www.boardgameswithscott.com said.

Anways...

I like Ticket to Ride. I personally think that its one of the best gateway games out there. And with all the accrutrements it can also be a very fun game to play. But it stinks as a two player game. And since its only my wife and me most of the time... we need to find new and good 2 player games, which can be daunting.

Theme:

There's not much theme to speak of in this one.

Well, I guess there is. You are trying to connect routes to get points, but this time in Switzerland.

Components:

The components are what you make of them.

You need the train cards from another set of Ticket to Ride in order to play. We use exclusively the cards from Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 that way the cards are nice and big. (note: you cannot use the Märklin cards, because of the allotment.)

The game itself comes with route cards. The difference between this and other games in the series is that the route cards also have routes from country to country... or city to country.

You also only use 40 trains, not the full amount (45) of the trains in the other sets.

Mechanics:

The mechanics are once again easy to grasp.

The mechanics are basically the same as the other games. But for a few changes:

1) You can only use locomotives for tunnels.
2) When you pick new route cards, you discard - out of the game - the ones you don't choose. (Other versions you put on the bottom of the pile)
3) The tunnel mechanic is the same as in TtR: Europe.

Gameplay:

The gamplay in TtR:Swiss is more intense.

With so little space to spread out, the amount of blockage there is in the game is quite extensive. The map has plenty of oppurtunities to counteract your opponent.

With three players the map can get really busy though.

Overall:

I really like this game.

I've played it 28 times since I got it. My wife and I go back and forth who wins.... she usually does though.

This map fixes what's wrong with the basic USA map of TtR... 2 player ability. No longer do I play USA 2 player, and that's fine with me.

Final Rating: 8/10

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have held off on buying this because of the low quality of the cards and the scoreboard not being center. Is this a non-issue for you? I have been hoping they would come out with another printing or something. Anyone know if this is a possibility?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as the cards go, the quality is a non issue to me. Generally only my wife and I play this, and she knows to be careful with the cards.

I know the scoreboard isn't on the board, but in the book... but its also a non-issue as well... pretty much because having played so many times I know the scores off the top of my head.

Although if you need the scores, the original TtR has that card with the scores on it that you can place on the board so all can see.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
I have held off on buying this because of the low quality of the cards and the scoreboard not being center. Is this a non-issue for you? I have been hoping they would come out with another printing or something. Anyone know if this is a possibility?

Adam,

I'm also a fan of TtR:Swiss & all the fuss over the 'low' quality cards is pathetic & excessively over the top. Sure, they are a little flimsier than the originals but I haven't been aware of this when playing or any time other than having opened the box for the first time. They're very colourful, pleasing to look at & no WARPING (I'm thinking of Through The Ages here)!!! Some people do need a reality check.

The lack of a scoring chart is more bothersome than the cards, personally. But even this doesn't damper my liking for this TtR game.

Matt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:

Some people are getting very precious about component quality. With respect to this game, it's a non-issue. I hadn't noticed either of the issues you raised before reading about them here. And anyway, how often do you handle the route cards during a game?

Just go ahead and get it if it appeals to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim Synge wrote:

Some people are getting very precious about component quality.

Well said, my man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.