Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this at the Toy Fair and it is stunning. The board is beautiful, even if it made of standard materials. The dreadnought and cannon icons on the chits are designed in the images of those used by the particular powers, so an English cannon (for instance) has the same image as a period piece used by UK forces in the war.

Using standard materials, unlike the prevelance of chrome in my deluxe and anniversary editions (see Settlers), will allow the game to retail at a reasonable price of $30 US.

Although I never get a chance to play the game, this edition is one I will most certainly pick up. The map alone makes it worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:
Using standard materials, unlike the prevelance of chrome in my deluxe and anniversary editions (see Settlers), will allow the game to retail at a reasonable price of $30 US.

Lending credence to those who argue that games are being over-produced (with unnecessary chrome) just to up the price of a games.

When the less-is-more approach actually works, it's a beautiful thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Schmidt
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
Osiris Ra wrote:
Just saw this at the Toy Fair and it is stunning. The board is beautiful, even if it made of standard materials. The dreadnought and cannon icons on the chits are designed in the images of those used by the particular powers, so an English cannon (for instance) has the same image as a period piece used by UK forces in the war.

Although I never get a chance to play the game, this edition is one I will most certainly pick up. The map alone makes it worth it.

Thanks for the info. What was the thickness of the counters, in your estimation? Were they paper-like or more substantial?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Webb
United States
Whitesburg
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Lending credence to those who argue that games are being over-produced (with unnecessary chrome) just to up the price of a games.

On the other hand, Acquire is getting an equally beautiful, low-budget edition, and that has caused no end of bitching and moaning among the Geeks.

Assuming there aren't misprints or rule changes, I'll be getting both of these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tolendante wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

On the other hand, Acquire is getting an equally beautiful, low-budget edition, and that has caused no end of bitching and moaning among the Geeks.

I think they're both uglier than the previous edition. I'd have almost expected an MSRP of $20 instead of 30 based on how cheap these new editions look. They look like they were made for giving to third world orphanages as charity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
tolendante wrote:

Geeks aren't the target audience for either game -- nor for the new version of Risk, for that matter -- thus the need for simpler components to keep the price point at $30.

Eric
Editor, http://www.BoardgameNews.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can't wait for this new edition. It looks great to me as does the edition of Acquire. I'll be getting both on release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Henry Rhombus wrote:
tolendante wrote:

Geeks aren't the target audience for either game -- nor for the new version of Risk, for that matter -- thus the need for simpler components to keep the price point at $30.

Eric
Editor, http://www.BoardgameNews.com

Yep, that's real good, let's see the general public hates cardboard...so to reduce the price they use...cardboard??

Who's the genius in charge of that marketing idiocy, he need to be fired when this plan backfires fabulously like a firework show.

That is unless they ARE marketting to the BGG audience that likes chits...otherwise I can't see this game doing anybetter then most other games released into the market with chits...

Not that chits are bad...they just don't sell all that well in relation to games such as...say...monopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad I have the original AH version. I'll pass on purchasing this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGMan wrote:

Thanks for the info. What was the thickness of the counters, in your estimation? Were they paper-like or more substantial?

The chits are thin; a little thinner than those of Squad Leader. However, they do feel substantial enough to survive at least three score of game plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Godspeed the Punchline
United States
San Joser
California
flag msg tools
donkeystyle wrote:
They look like they were made for giving to third world orphanages as charity.

Yeah, the third world orphanages are scrambling for nerd hobby games.

The attitude on here amazes me sometimes. A game goes out of print, and someone republishes it in a fairly affordable form. The reaction is a form of dumbassed outrage. "ZOMG that's not nearly as good as the zapruder-mannheimsteamroller edition of 1802. I'm so glad I have a copy of that, rather than *this shit*".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.